By Ican'tgotoschoolapparently - 07/10/2016 07:18 - United States - Vancouver

Today, I found out after $200 worth of checks and tests, three rugs being ruined from her peeing and pooping on them, that my cat isn't sick. She just has really bad separation anxiety. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 375
You deserved it 1 179

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You have a few options, OP. 1) Take your cat with you everywhere you go. To work, to the gym, on dates. Everywhere. 2) Cover every square inch of your home with litter boxes. Litter boxes on the floor, litter boxes on your furniture, litter boxes on your appliances. Everywhere. 3) Try leaving the radio on a talk radio station before you go anywhere so your cat doesn't feel so alone. It could work. Personally, I'd go with option 2.

I think my cat has that too. She has a lot of trouble separating her claws from my flesh.

Comments

You have a few options, OP. 1) Take your cat with you everywhere you go. To work, to the gym, on dates. Everywhere. 2) Cover every square inch of your home with litter boxes. Litter boxes on the floor, litter boxes on your furniture, litter boxes on your appliances. Everywhere. 3) Try leaving the radio on a talk radio station before you go anywhere so your cat doesn't feel so alone. It could work. Personally, I'd go with option 2.

I personally prefer 1. There ain't no icebreaker like already having your pet there. Just start off with the line "hey, do you want to meet my cat who ***** everywhere when I'm not around?"

Option #4: kitty xanax. It works really well. Helped my geriatric kitty after a cross country move.

Also you can get a feliway! It's a wall plug in that releases (odourless) hormones or something to that nature, it really helped calm our rescue cat when we first adopted him :)

I think my cat has that too. She has a lot of trouble separating her claws from my flesh.

bsshooter 14

or stick cat in travel cage, either cat ***** in temporary containment(on itself) or it doesn't.

Is she your only pet? Getting another cat might help out with the anxiety. That way she'll at least have someone to keep her company while you're gone.

mcaisse77 17

It's not really the best option, but my brother's dog has severe separation anxiety, and she's on Prozac. So far, it has been the only thing that truly helps. The radio and the crate didn't work, she just pooped in her crate instead. If you're willing to medicate your pet, it might work.

there's so many other options than those two. tell him training classes are a huge help. it helps build his dog's confidence and he will be more independent, rather than pill poping his dog. socialization and training a HUGE when it comes to an anxious dog. usually it's caused from a lack of those things.

A good way to combat this in pets is to give them an old jumper or similar item of clothing which has your scent on it. Best of luck OP!

I'm sure if the cat's in the house everything would smell like OP

Get a pet sitter or another cat to keep her company?

One of my cats piss on my bed if I don't keep an eye on her. this comes from my mom pissing on my bed originally and stinking it up. my cat thought this was acceptable behavior. no matter if I take a shower and change clothes, wash them I still smell like cat and human piss.

countryb_cth 38

Wait did you just say your mom pisses on your bed? What the actual ****?

You know, you could buy a new mattress... that would solve a world of problems.

#12, I would buy a new mattress and keep your door closed so the cat can't come in.

there's a thing called a thunder jacket. it's a jacket designed to be snug, so it releases endorphins like a hug and helps your cat stay calm. there is also a few "lickable" calming remedies sold at pet stores. I used 21st century pad licks when I realized my cat has anxiety as well. she ripped out her hair when I was gone but the cream helped.

I know a dog who has one and it works wonders on her anxiety. I definitely recommend at least trying one out.

As someone who has a dog that was horribly abused to the point of severe anxiety and symptoms rather like PTSD, I can vouch that thunder jackets work EXTREMELY well. One year of use has brought her anxiety so far down that she hardly ever needs it anymore.