By Husband - 22/11/2016 14:33 - United States - Washington

Today, I asked my husband if he wanted to visit my parents for Thanksgiving. He choked on his own spit to avoid answering the question. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 328
You deserved it 1 525

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If parents are an issue, maybe instead of visiting anybody's parents for Thanksgiving, you guys can just go on a cruise! There's time to see parents when everyone isn't stressed out and trying to prepare a giant meal.

HanBanana15 9

As someone who often chokes on my own spit because I'm super awkward and accident prone, I'm having trouble believing someone would do it on purpose, because it really sucks. Maybe he just inhaled too sharply before he was going to answer you. Either way, I hope you're able to work it out, and have a good Thanksgiving.

Comments

If parents are an issue, maybe instead of visiting anybody's parents for Thanksgiving, you guys can just go on a cruise! There's time to see parents when everyone isn't stressed out and trying to prepare a giant meal.

As an addendum to that, it perfectly understandable to want to work on forging a relationship with in-laws in less stressful situations. There's no point doing it at a specific "special" time if it's going to worsen things.

1: Produce adequate amount of saliva. 2: Attempt to swallow said saliva. 3: Fail at said attempt and choke. 4: Gasp and flail and generally make a fool of yourself. You're welcome.

#4 you're correct, but you forgot to mention that it only happens while you are in a quiet classroom taking a test.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to randomly choke on my own spit. My wife just stares at me every time I do that. Lol

I do it ALL THE TIME. I don't understand why I can't grasp the proper way of swallowing lol.

Haha I don't think anyone willingly chokes on their own spit, OP

Ah, the hidden downside to having a husband who has mastered his gag-reflex, eh bro?

species4872 19

There is a whole range of tactics used to avoid answering the better half, unfortunately they rarely work.

Thanksgiving sucks after you get married. After that, you both want to spend time with your families on Turkey day and it just causes arguments. Unless it works out that one side celebrates it on a different day.

species4872 19

Well you know the old saying, Marriage is give and take, your the one that gives. Seriously, once married now you have a new family, takes precedence.

You could just split up and celebrate with your own family. I know loads of couples who don't celebrate Christmas together, because they both want to be with their own family :-)

His family does early dinner and mine does late dinner so it works out. It also helps that the locations are close together. That said I'm boycotting family Thanksgivings until I no longer have to be up at 4am for work the next day.

My fiance and I take turns since our parents live in different states. We did Thanksgiving with his family last year and Christmas with mine, so this year we're switching. It's worked out so far :)

HanBanana15 9

As someone who often chokes on my own spit because I'm super awkward and accident prone, I'm having trouble believing someone would do it on purpose, because it really sucks. Maybe he just inhaled too sharply before he was going to answer you. Either way, I hope you're able to work it out, and have a good Thanksgiving.

We're twins or something lol. I can absolutely use the exact words to accurately describe myself.

It might be all in the wording. I told my husband that I'm going to my parents' for Thanksgiving and if he'd like to come along with me I'd appreciate it.

cootiequeen4444 11

Wow. If i were your husband. I would contimue the passive agressive trend and say 'nah, I'll pass' solely because of your wording. I, ironically perhaps, would not appreciate that. On that note, he is a saint of he goes along with that and you shouldn't take advantage of it. Though I can't relate to requests in this wording. If asked things politely, I have extreme difficulty saying no, even if I really wanted to on the inside. my loved ones have taken advantage of this and it makes me sad sometimes. Don't be like those loved ones of mine to *your* loved ones. As it might make them sad though you might not know because they don't think it is a big enough of a deal nor is it worth the stress to argue. Just saying.