This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By phalanges en fuego - 06/07/2017 22:37

Today, I'm taking my 44-year-old sister to a nice resort for her birthday. She's bringing her baby doll, which she insists on treating as if it's really her baby, along with its carriage, car seat, bottles, and diapers. Two. Whole. Days. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 653
You deserved it 754

phalangesenfuego tells us more.

phalangesenfuego 11

OP here. First off, she's not mentally or emotionally disabled...well, maybe emotionally disturbed, but not disabled. My sister and I are very different, and I try to maintain a relationship with her even though we don't have much in common besides our childhood. She started collecting dolls a few years ago, and it has grown to this. I never quite know what I'm going to walk into during our visits....at least it's not boring????

Top comments

neuronerd 28

I don't mean this in a mean way at all, but does she have a disability or did she possibly have a miscarriage that impacted her deeply? I don't mean to pry, but you did post this, and I feel there's a lot more to the story than you're telling us.

LeoCor 19

What if it isn't a baby doll? What f you went insane to think it's a baby doll? You're actually at the looney bin for 2 days as they figure out what's wrong.

Comments

Wait.. is "nice resort" a euphemism for "loony bin"?

neuronerd 28

I don't mean this in a mean way at all, but does she have a disability or did she possibly have a miscarriage that impacted her deeply? I don't mean to pry, but you did post this, and I feel there's a lot more to the story than you're telling us.

Yeah, I feel like there's definitely more to this story than meets the eye. Your sister's behavior seems rather harmless yet sad, as if she badly wants a child yet is unable to realistically have one.

imnotcleverenoughforthis 14

My goodness I couldn't even imagine that level of pain. To be hurt so severely on such a deep level that your mind has to rationalize something like that for you to cope. That's terrifying and makes me really sad for them.

boopingsnoot 24

Just what I was going to ask. There are a lot of factors that can make maternal instincts go haywire, and OP's sister definitely needs to see a doctor and/or therapist. She deserves the FML, more than OP.

phalangesenfuego 11

No, she has two full grown sons. That's just how she is.

Menopause can make some women nutty for a baby again. I don't know to the extreme they carry dolls around but it's actually more common than you'd ever imagine for women to carry around dolls. Check out the nutty American Girl women.

Lobby_Bee 17

About the same crazy as people who wheel their pet dogs around like babies.

Most folks wheel their dogs around because the are too old to go for actual walks. I still make fun of them, though.

Lobby_Bee 17

90% of them is healthy Chihuahua with their non stop barking. I am referring to those. lol

LeoCor 19

What if it isn't a baby doll? What f you went insane to think it's a baby doll? You're actually at the looney bin for 2 days as they figure out what's wrong.

You ought to play along with your sister and your "niece," and then play it off as you're an improv troupe doing performance art. Otherwise, you're just an enabler letting your psychotic sister descend deeper into madness.

melana09 19

If she did this beforehand then you should know how it would be. If this is recent I would talk to her as long as she doesn't have a disability or grieving from a miscarriage.

Ever seen the film "The Boy"? The doll may well be a violent psychopath... In all serious though, I hope your sister is okay and getting the help she needs if it is due to an illness or instability. And I hope you manage to have a good time as well :)

No, but I just saw the old "Twilight Zone" about "Talkie Tina." Creepy af!!!!!

Adeline90 10

You can always wear a ¨I´m with crazy¨ t-shirt....

LwyrUp 13

If you already knew about the doll, did you really think she was going to leave it behind?

You ought to know your sister by now. Why did you obligate yourself to be a part of this - In that sense YDI at least a little. I wonder has you sister always been nuts or is this recent?