By "Beackers675" - 18/07/2017 09:00 - United States - Minneapolis

Today, due to religious restrictions, I'm not allowed to have medicine for my cold. The only thing my family will let me have is milk tea. I'm lactose intolerant. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 836
You deserved it 1 221

Beackers675 tells us more.

Hey everyone, OP here! So uhm..just for the record I'm not a minor, no CPS needed. As for their religion, I personally do not follow it, but out of love and respect for my parents I let them take care of me, (I'd been away from home for a long time and got sick upon my return) it was a nasty cold, and I was miserable, but I'm fine now. My family doesn't believe in unnecessary medications if the body can fight it off, however in extreme cases they will accept modern medicine. And yes, we're all vascinated so calm your butt cheeks. As for their religious beliefs, that is who they are. Thanks for the support, but no need to worry.

Top comments

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
HanBanana15 9

I'm religious and even I think that kind of thing is ridiculous. There's a difference between religious and crazy. Religious people would believe their God(s) made the ingredients and compounds for medicines possible for a reason. Crazy people believe they must never intervene with "God's will" in absolutely any way... Okay, then why did He make it possible to create medicine? Smh. I'm all for beliefs but the people that let their child die from completely preventable or treatable illnesses because it's "God's will" need to be charged with child neglect and maybe even murder.

CPS would have a field day with this one.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I don't think CPS would give a damn about religion if somebody is using it as an excuse to put their child's life at risk, because I can imagine that this case falls under child neglect and endangerment. Before you get the wrong idea, I'll just point out that I respect other's religious beliefs, but if they're using their religion as an excuse to do something as stupid as this, they need to be called out on it.

You would both be wrong! Most states have a religious exemption if you let your child die of a *completely curable* disease due to religious beliefs. Call your state Congress.

No they wouldn't. CPS sure as hell doesn't have time to deal with someone not supplying cold meds to their child. They have real things to deal with, like people who don't feed their children or lock them in a closet for days on end...

Yeah did you hear about that time the parents didn't give their kid Tylenol cold and flu! The child obviously died from major neglect. If only cps had gotten involved sooner....

Hellblazer_Sith 25

Probably Mormon... someone I knew at uni was the same. Couldn't take any drug including caffeine.

Hellblazer_Sith 25

Probably Mormon... someone I knew at uni was the same. Couldn't take any drug including caffeine.

My guess is either Mormon or Christian Science.

soactually 4

I was raised Mormon and never heard of anyone in that religion (except a few crazy fringe families, which you get in any group) who weren't fine with the use of cold medicine or medications in general.

My money is on Christian Scientists. They believe that "Praying the illness away" will cure everything. Truth is their prayers were answered years ago thanks to modern medicine. Antibiotics to fight infection, chemotherapy for cancer, etc.

Mormons are not against medicine, they only dont drink alcohol or caffeine.

Moupoule 5

Nope, Mormons are allowed to take medicine. What they are not allowed is to use recreational drugs. (Plus, there is a very large number of Mormon doctors or medical students, but you probably didn't notice it). You guys got it wrong. Plus, it's just a cold and there are no meds for that, only for the symptoms. Also, why does everyone assume that OP is a minor?

Mormons use modern medicine. They just aren't supposed to drink caffeine or alcohol.

They assume op is a minor because most adults would just go to the store and get medicine regardless of what mommy and daddy say.

Most likely Islam, probably concerned about gelatin.

You can get vegetable-based capsules, you know. If fact most drugs have that anyway now

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Watch out everyone, a badass showed up on the horizon.

That's a myth actually. Meds for the common cold don't treat the illness (they can't) they manage the symptoms.

kimdaa 13

Shh! I won't tell if you won't.

pwinche1 11

if allowed, there are different teas you can get to assist with your cold. My Nana, when she was on Chemo, could not stand any other drugs but natural teas helped and you can get lataid free milk. Good luck

Colds are usually viral and therefore self-limiting with no treatment required. Have some ginger and honey tea, and if you're not better in 3 days see your doctor for possible antibiotics.

LeoCor 19

They can't see a doctor for antibiotics because of their religion

Hellblazer_Sith 25

Antibiotics won't work for a cold. I thought that was common knowledge? Antibiotics are used for bacterial infections. Most of the time colds are not bacterial infections but rather a virus.

Yes, colds are USUALLY viral. But if not gone in 3 days, you MAY need antibiotics because: 1. Cold-like symptoms can, on occasion, be bacterial. 2. Even viral colds alter local and systemic immune function to allow bacterial superinfection of a previously viral illness. In case of a bacterial infection, if severe, you need the antibiotics. That may not be 'common' knowledge; it's my knowledge as a medical doctor!

I know because it happened to me. when I saw the doctor, my head cold had morphed into a full-blown sinus infection.

You literally stated that colds are caused by a viral vector, then recommended antibiotics? You know the words, but I don't think you know what they mean.

Hellblazer_Sith 25

You can get lactose free milk or have soya milk for the lactose intolerant part. Also there are lactase tablets available. Also I hope you never get seriously ill as pray isn't going to fix any illness.

I agree with everything you said, but the lactose pills may be bordering on "medication". I hope family will back off if OP gets a serious illness

You need to find a way out of that cult. Maybe consider calling CPS.