By Anonymous - 10/09/2015 01:15 - United States - Mountain View

Today, at a public restroom, I caught my extremely eco-friendly daughter, who was on her period, looking through the trash. When I asked why, she said, "Because I'm looking for pads to use. It'll mean less garbage." I then had to lecture her in the public restroom about health and hygiene. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 506
You deserved it 2 607

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should have another serious talk with her and talk about what other options there are.. There are organic pads, menstrual cups, cloth pads, washable pads etc. All eco-friendky. I hope she will understand that what she is doing isn't the best option and it can seriously damage her health. Best of luck OP!

I'm all about "less garbage", but what your daughter did is just... I don't even have words for. Hopefully you were able to talk some sense into her

Comments

excuse me; you've got your cliches wrong. we're known for being fat, lazy, antisocial, asshats who don't care about the world. the only cliche this applies to is being stupid. which albeit, many of us are, but not an insane number.

So you are agreeing amd disagreeing with me, cool cool, and it was a joke, take it lightly shees

Hydiin 5

why does everybody hate on jokes on this site? Ya'll are a bunch of prunes.

We don't hate on jokes. We hate on stupid jokes! It's an important distinction.

From experience the number of insane people increases the further south in the USA you go, or the further into like isolated mountainous areas, though I still find mountain folks to be more mentally together than southern folks

If pads are a concern to her, old enough to know better.

If she's old enough to have a period, OP deserved it. That talk should've happened a long time ago. 8 or 9 is fairly rare, and even then this talk should've been going on continuously as she aged.

my mom was 8. I was 12. both of us knew well enough not to look thru the trash for stuff to put next to your vag. actually, look thru the trash for ANYTHING.

my mom was 8. I was 12. both of us knew well enough not to look thru the trash for stuff to put next to your vag. actually, look thru the trash for ANYTHING. and the "talk" should've occurred when she was MUCH younger than being the period talk. little kids should know not to go thru the damn trash!!! are you saying at 12 this should be a revelation???

How many people do you actually know who started that young? I was 10, nearly 11 when I first started, and the school nurse told me that was pretty young.

That's disgusting. How old is your daughter?

I'm all about "less garbage", but what your daughter did is just... I don't even have words for. Hopefully you were able to talk some sense into her

I can't imagine why she'd think that'd be at all safe. If she's that concerned, you may want to look into "Thinx". They're panties that can replace the need for tampons or pads (if you do not heavy a very heavy flow. In which case, they're mainly a backup to prevent bleed throughs). Best of luck, OP, I hope she listens to you.

I missed the edit time, but if anyone does want more info: http://www.shethinx.com There are 3 different styles, designed for different flows - being your standard light, medium, and heavy

menstrual cups are also a very good option.

Also she could buy reusable cloth pads. Etsy sells a lot of different ones to check out and a few also donate pads to girls in underdeveloped countries with purchase.

You should have another serious talk with her and talk about what other options there are.. There are organic pads, menstrual cups, cloth pads, washable pads etc. All eco-friendky. I hope she will understand that what she is doing isn't the best option and it can seriously damage her health. Best of luck OP!

Especially with menstrual cups, they can be reusable for years (so long as you're okay with the cup getting a color change after prolonged use)

My friend swears by the cup, and it is safer than tampons and cleaner than pads.

I've been using the cup for 5 months now. As long as you don't mind seeing a lot of menstrual blood and being personal with yourself it's a great option. You don't even notice it when you have it in properly. Most are usable for around 8-10 years.

Tell her about the mooncup, if she doesn't know about it already. It's a re-usable cup to catch the blood. I don't use it myself, but it sounds like a really good alternative to re-using other women's pads.

Sounds like that daughter would complain about using those too, since you'd have to "waste" water in order to wash it off to reuse it.

kewpiesuicide 29

I use the diva cup which is the same thing but a different brand. A lot of people think it's gross but I would never go back to using tampons. You have to change it much less frequently, it's reusable, there's no string to worry about and it's much more sanitary and body safe than tampons

You can get an organic cup, it simply needs to be emptied and washed, then you can reuse it. Maybe suggest one of these to her.

Talk to her about the moon cup! You only need to buy one every 10 years, and you just boil it every month to sterilise it