By $$$ - 29/05/2013 04:49 - Australia - Chatswood

Today, an elderly woman couldn't afford all of her groceries at the checkout so she started to take out a few things. I offered to pay for her groceries; she thanked me and walked out. An onlooker then came up to me and told me that she does it to someone every week. FML
I agree, your life sucks 61 869
You deserved it 6 227

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Just because she's a thief doesnt mean your good deed means nothing. Don't let bitch granny stop you from being awesome!

Comments

wlddog 14

Wonder how often these grandparent moments have gone unnoticed. I am glad FML is here to show us how crafty they can be. I personally look forward to be the old man down the road that builds a playground in the front yard and then have a very carefully designed sprinkler system to defend it. Every time a kid comes over to play on it, they will have to cross a mine field of sensors and lasers, just to get sprayed with a subterranean water gun. Then I wanna yell at the kids to stay out of my sprinkler system.

chell1894 13

It sucks when people take advantage of nice gestures. But whatcha gonna do?

Eh. It's possible she genuinely can't afford those items and maybe forgets every week or has some form of dementia. Then again, she might just be a really convincing hustler. Either way, considering how crappily our old folk are treated by the government in Australia, the OP can at least feel good they gave a pensioner a decent meal. It's more than many get. :(

Maybe she really can't afford her groceries every week. Elderly people deserve our help the most after children.

hugozac88 22

Ha still waiting for the elderly section :)

So what if she does ? Probably on a pension that barley lets her have utilities. A lot have to chose between utilities food or medicine.

Amen to that. And just hope when you get to that time in your life that if ya need a little some one will help out.

@19 That might backfire, kids like to play in sprinklers so they'd see it as part of the playground.

Clever, yes but not very smart using the same store week after week.

I, for one, appreciate 2's Jurassic Park reference.

57-Its working for now but eventually a lot more customers are going to recognize her. I assume she'll just find another store.

Just because she's a thief doesnt mean your good deed means nothing. Don't let bitch granny stop you from being awesome!

ElementaryEdGuy 18

Bitch Granny. That's what I want my grandchildren to call me. My wife can just be regular Granny.

#3 that was inspiring, you should write fortune cookie fortunes or hallmark cards. OP: I agree though, your heart was in the right place. Shame she violated it.

She's not an actual thief, she is a con-man.

sexyboi1985 27

Exactly. That is her sin not yours. You did a good deed

if she does this the whole time, why isn't she banned from the store?

I guess because she really didnt do anything against the law, she's just a huge doucher

Indeed. It's a smart move, but disrespectful altogether. The people she's robbing had to work for their money as well.

And either way someone's paying for it! Even if its not her , the store is still selling well and why would you not want that!

because as long as the grocery store is getting there money they don't care where it comes from. sorry op

at least some good karma will be headed your way, OP!

What a nice onlooker to wait until after the deed is done to say anything about the matter

That's what I thought. I would have called her out--loudly! This reminds me of something that happened to me. I was in a grocery store parking lot when a young man approached me, telling me that he swore he wasn't a bum and that he needed money for gas and giving me a story about how his four month old child was stranded in his car. I told him I'd like to help him, so if he would just wait a few minutes I'd be back with a gas can. Then he got all defensive, saying he was offended that I didn't trust him, and left. I called the cops and told them about the incident, thinking that of he was scamming people that they'd take care of it, but that if he really needed help they would help him. Unfortunately, I saw him leave before the cops arrived. Then,a few months later, I was at the mall with my boyfriend when I the same guy approached us, giving us the same bull shit story about how he swore he wasn't a bum, and how he needed money for gas because his four month old baby was stranded in his car. I yelled at him so everyone around us turned to look, saying that I remembered him from before, and that he was a con artist. He tried to speak but I just yelled at him to shut up and get lost as we walked away. The con man then yelled back to me that he was going to call the cops on me. (Pffffft! Yeah right!) I then told my bewildered boyfriends the story of how I'd met the man before, and he said we should tell mall security. We told a security guard about the guy and gave him a description. We saw the same security guard again later, and he told us that he found the guy and made him leave the mall. I think that guy was a crack head or something. I doubt the old woman in this FML is a crackhead, but she's a hustler and no better.

sugarshane007 20

"There's a sucker born every minute." - P.T. Barnum

I watched an episode of Star Trek early this morning with that quote name and all. Isn't that funny when things like that happen.

sugarshane007 20

What do you mean, that is great! How else are you supposed to know when they change the code in the Matrix?

that is exactly what I thought when I read this.