By Anonymous - 17/04/2014 23:24 - United States - Bakersfield

Today, after ten years, our sewing machine broke. My mom tried to return it back to the store she bought it from. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 735
You deserved it 4 127

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Let's hope she doesn't try sewing them after they don't take it back.

that's just crazy trying to return something you've owned for ten years!

Comments

that's just crazy trying to return something you've owned for ten years!

Where I work someone returned a 5 year old used toilet....we took it :(

WTF??? where do you work my house toilets been broken for a while LMAO!!!

What a single use-throw away society we have become. Things just aren't made to last anymore.

Arnt made to last anymore? That sewing machine lasted 10 years, how much longer do you expect the fricken thing to last?

44, I was referring to #1's comment, not the FML. I was implying that the manufacturing of today is absolute shit compared to things (like the sewing machine) that were made years ago.

And I used to snort the little seeds in green beans with a straw. Wait, weren't we talking about fish??

#44 "aren't"- A brand name sewing machine should reasonably expected to last for decades. It's not something that is used everyday. I see nothing wrong with her returning as long as she has the receipt.

It's not totally crazy. When I worked at JC Penney, we were trained to take back practically anything a customer tried to return. The main example used was an opened, yellowed package of tighty whities that clearly said Sears on the packaging. It blew my mind at the time. In the mom's case though, she should have returned it to the manufacturer instead of the store. Many sewing machines have 25 year warranties or longer.

Let's hope she doesn't try sewing them after they don't take it back.

Geez, she better invent a time machine if she's seriously planning to return it!

"Ok I'm going back to the year 2004 to return the sewing machine. Want anything?"

"As many gallons of gasoline as you can get"

Mysterious_one 26

some of the sewing machines is under warranty up to 20 years

True but usually you have to contact the company that made the item in order to get a repair/replacement, not the store you bought it from. Some stores may take it back though.

Mysterious_one 26

Singer is a big old company.. they make sewing machines since long time

Damn, what was the reaction at the store?

"Hello, I'd like to return this sewing machine." "When was it purchased?" "Ten years ago." Seems legit.

She needs a time machine to return it!!

Thing is #6, in the "old days", things were made to last and given decent warranties to support the quality of an item, unlike the cheap, mass produced throw away items of today. It also gave the consumer peace of mind that they were getting their money's worth.

38, it's not typically the store's responsibility to accept the return. When a manufacturer offers a warranty, if it's still valid, the manufacturer is the proper place to return it to.

54, I agree with you, however some manufacturers won't deal with the consumer, instead referring them to a 3rd party. It all comes down to the manufacturers policy and procedures for warranty claims. Sometimes a manufacturer will send a consumer to a shop to fill out paperwork & then contact the person who is making the claim. Sometimes, one shop will stock a particular item exclusively, so they're the first port of call for any recourse. Presuming the manufacturer is still in business and what part of the machine is "broken", spare parts may be available for it to be fixed, & only through that shop, or by an accredited technician/repairer of the manufacturers choosing, can this be done.

I've got a torch with life time warranty, I've seen goggles with life time warranty, there's plenty of items that have well over 10 years warranty on them.