This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By HolidayForOne - 14/03/2017 12:00

Today, after months of saving up and planning with his office and friends, I told my boyfriend of 5 years that I'd booked us a surprise holiday to Berlin, as he's always wanted to go. His response was to tell me there's no way he could go because there's a new video game out the week before. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 013
You deserved it 683

Top comments

I'm a gamer so I understand wanting to play a game a lot right after release, but he's acting like the game isn't going to still be there when he gets back. It's not like it's going to disappear if he doesn't play it.

lukcy_basartd 11

If he pre-ordered something he'll still be able to swoop it up, just not on the launch date. It's a funny response, nothing more! BTW, seriously a thoughtful surprise..you're definitely a prize to keep.

Comments

Why even date a douchebag? Is he the football team quarterback and it's a status symbol or something?

Why even date a douchebag? Is he the football team quarterback and it's a status symbol or something?

That is an incredibly sweet and amazing surprise OP! The level of ingratitude being displayed by your boyfriend is staggering! The disregard he is showing for the time, effort and money you obviously put into this is just shameful. I rarely ever say this OP, but you should leave him. You deserve someone who will actually appreciate you.

galacticstorm 6

I can understand you planned an awesome trip. but "surprise" means you just sprung it on him right then and there when he may have had plans. Imagine Bf-"Horizon Zero Dawn. I can't wait to take down some robot dinosaurs!" Gf"Hey, we're going to Germany tonight, so get your stuff ready!" Bf-"Huh?..."

If you had read the FML you would know that she didn't "spring" it on him the night before and if putting off playing a video game for a little while to go on his supposed dream vacation with his obviously thoughtful and loving girlfriend is too much of an imposition for him then he is clearly ****** in the head. He needs to seriously rethink his priorities.

This is why I am very hesitant to date "gamers." (Which to me, is different than "someone who occasionally enjoys video games.") There's a certain threshold many (Note: I'm not saying ALL) of them hit where the addiction takes priority over everything else, and if you question it, they become angry and defensive. It's scary stuff.

I'd agree with you except, change 'gamer' with 'sports enthusiast' or 'movie enthusiast' and it's the same thing. Gaming is a pass time just like anything else. Want to sit Infront of the TV and binge watch the newest season for your favourite show? Go ahead! It isn't just gamers. What if the trip was planned on a Superbowl weekend, or the screening of a movie you've been dying to see? Honestly, trips should never be a surprise as it also require a both parties to have time off work, rearrange plans and everything. Surprise them with the fact you have enough to go to Berlin! Don't buy the tickets just yet, plan together! A flight vacation is a huge deal!

Is it The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild? lol

Misskreher 30

I don't blame him, Breath of the Wild is an amazing game

LOL! I went on the trip down under and missed the start of retail World of Warcraft

Sorry OP but a voyage to Andromeda sounds more exciting than Berlin ?

HalfLit 17

I was once with a man who chose video games over everything and anything. I finally had enough and left my life with him behind. And you know what I've found since? True adventure. Since being away from him I have traveled all over the states with my new boyfriend (it's been over a year now). We've been on all kinds of awesome adventures together! And I'm sure my ex is still sitting on his couch staring at his TV screen. DO NOT SETTLE. EMBRACE CHANGE.