By halfmypaycheckgone - 05/02/2013 18:59 - United States - Monroe

Today, a state trooper ticketed me after learning I was ticketed for the same offense an hour earlier, namely driving with a broken headlight. The good news is that both tickets will be dismissed if I go to court. The bad news is that I'd have to go to different courthouses at the same time of day. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 992
You deserved it 4 217

Same thing different taste

Top comments

OhDearBetrayal 25

Maybe you should talk to the judges beforehand to clear up the dilemma.

Call the court house, if you explain that both court dates conflict, they can reschedule it

Comments

OhDearBetrayal 25

Maybe you should talk to the judges beforehand to clear up the dilemma.

LuckBeNimble 19

yes, and soon! before half of your paycheck is gone! O:

More than just Ops pay check, you can go to jail for not showing up! :o

Call the court house, if you explain that both court dates conflict, they can reschedule it

free2speak 14

I had a ticket and they changed my date, no questions asked. My mom, who lives in another state did this, and they didn't ask her anything about it either. Gotta admit though that it's major douchebag-like of him to give OP another ticket especially if OP showed him the previous ticket and explained. I can't think of one good reason why he would've done so...

39 - Some places use ticket fines as a revenue source. Gets worse near the end of the month, when the cops try to make their quota.

Bravesfan319 11

47 - cops don't have a quota. That's just a myth. And before you doubt me, one my best friends is a cop, and so is his wife's dad.

I'm sorry to say but sadly peoples moods effect everything. The second one couldve had a bad day and just wanted to take it out on you by thinking "its been an hour she shouldve fixed it, its not that hard." I don't see why he would do that either, its horrible, unless he thought it was funny which he's an asshole or he didn't pay attention to a word you said and disregarded it.

39- There's quotas, then there's just being an asshole. Not just the same day for a second ticket, an hour later. What if you're too busy to get it fixed? And them for court dates to be the same day? Are they trying to be inconsiderate jerks?

zero4life123 7

Cops haven't had quotas for about 40 years. Also I know by us they banned quotas.... I know many other police forces in America do. Also I doubt you got another ticket for your head light, because it would come up in all red letters saying he was already pulled over and what not. Also it says what he/she was pulled over for and the date...

bigtredawg 2

they have here what is called performance expectation. it isn't a quota of how many tickets they have to write. however if they don't write enough tickets they are not meeting the expectation.

free2speak 14

47, seeing as both his ticket would've been thrown out anyway, I don't suspect the cop did this to "generate revenue."

Unless he didn't go to court, in which case he would have to pay. Either its a waste of paper, or there's a slim chance they could make money off of him. Bogus, but true.

dbt88 15

55- generally there is a specific date/time for courts that police are given every day. I believe it's 3 weeks from receiving the ticket in one jurisdiction here. If both agencies' court dates were the same, it wasn't the officer's fault. And maybe OP had an attitude with the trooper ... That discretion thing can get you.

Cops do have quotas to fill although they usually call it a personal goal. My 2 sisters-in-law are cops and both state just the wording has changed not what they are required to do.

lilrockerjj 5

49- It's not a myth, the quota is real and must be met. My criminal justice teacher who is a retired cop can tell you all about it just as he has my class.

Hopefully there's a way to arrange an appointment at only one courthouse. It doesn't seem fair that you have two of the same ticket.

That's bullshit. I think you'll be able to do something about that.

Maybe she'll get lucky and Christopher Dorsen will take care of those policemen for her.

I think you can be glad that your girlfriend didn't mace the person that wanted to alert you to the broken head light. If he/she would sue, that would not get dismissed that easily in court.

Reference to the fml below this one, but ill never understand why people think it's funny to reference something we are all about to read

pretty sure 5 is high as ****. either that it stupidity struck again.

Um, #5... the OP is female, and while its possible she might have a girlfriend, the OP is the driver in this case and so was the lady that maced the other FML's OP... So in short, your comment is a big fat reference FAIL.

U_GotitDude 18

Totally irrelevant to this FML...

why should the tickets be dismissed? driving with a broken headlight is very dangerous!

Those kinds of tickets are given just to get you to change your light, and to stumble on bigger crimes the person may be involved in. If OP fixes lights and proves it to the judges, tickets will get waived. Easy as pie.

#6: i think the second ticket should be dismissed; i'm fairly sure that a cop cannot issue you a second ticket for a problem such as this without giving you sufficient time to fix it. an hour is not enough time to fix a broken headlight. not only that, the record of the ticket would have shown up when the police officer ran OP's plates. i'm with what others have said; contact one or both court houses and explain the situation and see if the times can't be rescheduled

notsofriendly 17

There are two headlights, plus two brights, and often two more fog lights on a car. I'm pretty sure even if one goes out, you can still sufficiently illuminate your car until you can get it fixed.

twilightriforce 10

That is ridiculous. I suggest contacting both court houses to see if the date can be rescheduled at one of the court houses. It never hurts to ask. Well most of the time.

perdix 29

You should have maced the second trooper and made a run for it!

MrClean17 15

Honestly I can't say I'm surprised. Thats how stuff like this usually goes

Find a double and go to both court at the same time ! (Good luck finding a double)