By Anonymous - 18/06/2017 16:00

Today, I went to fetch our bins after they were collected, only to scare the child that was trying to fit inside our compost bin. Apparently, she's not allowed to play in hers because she already broke two by doing this. These bins are $75 a piece. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 505
You deserved it 312

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If she breaks yours, talk to her parents and politely request that they replace them, or that they can meet you in small claims court, since they are responsible for her actions and the consequences they have until she is an adult.

Let her know that if she goes in your compost bin, she becomes your compost. This would be more effective if you tell her this while holding a meat cleaver and wearing a demented grin.

Comments

If she breaks yours, talk to her parents and politely request that they replace them, or that they can meet you in small claims court, since they are responsible for her actions and the consequences they have until she is an adult.

Druu 53

Please don't try to give legal advice. The second portion of your statement is untrue.

Who is responsible for paying for the child's actions? Assuming she is young, she probably doesn't have her own money. And the neighbor should definitely not be responsible for what someone else's kid does.

You would be incorrect, Druu. Until the age of majority, parents are responsible for their children's actions, barring specific circumstances. This means that if a child damages someone's property, the parents can be taken to civil court for monetary compensation, and said parents could also be held accountable for any crimes that the child commits in a court of law. The neighbors know that their child is behaving this way and that damage has resulted from it. As the behavior has not been corrected, anyone who has their bins damaged by the child and can provide evidence can in fact take the parents to civil court in order to get either replacement bins or the money for them.

Let her know that if she goes in your compost bin, she becomes your compost. This would be more effective if you tell her this while holding a meat cleaver and wearing a demented grin.

sounds more like a lucky day unless she broke yours.

I would love to know the reasoning behind this...

Next time, try hiding a live raccoon or skunk in the bin just after the garbage men empty it. The little shit will learn very quickly to stay out of your bins.

The parents would have to pay if she broke it. Let her go nuts.