By Ihadnoidea - 12/12/2015 19:41 - Canada - Ottawa

Today, while working at a gas station, I accidentally changed the price of gas to 8.9 cents per litre. It took me fifteen minutes to figure out why everyone wanted only two or three dollars of gas. I fixed it, but now my managers are debating charging me for lost revenue. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 405
You deserved it 7 094

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Do they even pay you enough for you to be able to make up the lost revenue?

If only people had the integrity to tell someone... However, double checking can never be done too many times, so look at this as a lesson for next time.

Comments

Legally, they can't do that, OP. If they do that it's against legal rules. I'd talk to someone about it.

"Legal rules"... that a technical term?

What exactly is wrong with them wanting their employee to pay for their mistake?

Sorry but they can in fact do that. Legally the employee signs a contract that, among other things, state any losses to the company incurred by an employee are the responsibility of the employee. This can mean a dock in pay or termination of employment or both.

In the US it's considered a cost of doing business and your can't charge the employee unless it's intentional.

#25 Have you been reading OP's contract? Because... You know, they differ from one to another.

I was thinking that although they could probably dock op's pay because of the mistake, I bet a lawyer could possibly fight it and say that op shouldn't have been responsible for something so serious and detrimental to the company and that there should have been someone there to supervise and make sure things like this don't happen. Op is just a minimum wage, low level, employee and a supervisor or manager should've been there to ensure things like that don't happen. I'm not saying it's right, but I could totally see a lawyer doing that and winning and the gas station then having to have a manager or supervisor working at all times or something.

In 15 minutes I don't think they lost that much. They should just let it go. But be extra careful from now on

This is the day some guy came to fill a 50 gallon drum

Ugh. OP is probably young and doesn't understand about rights - Managers are taking advantage of the situation. Employers can't pull lost revenue from your wages because they can't prove your intentions were malicious to begin with; You didn't get any benefit from the mistake! If they tried anything they would be in breach of good of faith. ALSO... It's these examples which are why businesses by law are required to have INSURANCE. This is New Zealand's law any ways...

Just because that is the law in New Zealand doesn't mean it's the same law in Canada. The OP's employer may be within their right to charge the employee. Unless you know Canadian law you can't say what the managers can or cannot do.

They usually sign a contract stating something of the sort like that. Especially if he directly caused something, accidentally or not.

If it was that cheap id fill the back of my truck!

Lost revenue ? Probably make more than any of us and all they care about if profit.

I'm pretty sure that when you're employed you're acting as a representative of the company rather than as an individual, therefore unless it was deliberate malicious intent on your part they take responsibility for it?

Double check if and when you can. Judging by how you left it there for 15 minutes, YDI.

Yes they should. You made them lose that money. If a cashiers register ends up not counting right it gets taken out of their paycheck, accident or not. Next time double, triple check before you hit the button to approve things.