By Anonymous - 29/06/2016 02:17 - United States - High Springs

Today, while working as a highway patrol officer, I pulled over my girlfriend for speeding and was required by law to ticket her. Another officer was with me, so I couldn't not ticket her without being reported. We share a joint account, so I basically ticketed myself. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 413
You deserved it 2 754

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Lying in court is a Brady violation, really lying at all as a police officer, under any circumstances in the course of your official duties (and no it doesn't apply when you're using it as a tactic to gain a confession) is a Brady violation. Once you have that, you can no longer testify. If you can't testify, there is no point in the department retaining you and you will be terminated. Even little "white lies" can get you fired. Police can lie to the public in the course of their duties, but not to their department and certainly not to a judge. It is very unethical and immoral. 99% of officers take the whole held to a higher standard thing very seriously. In this case, if he wasn't willing to issue a warning to her in front of his partner, I guarantee he is not willing to lie in court in front of him. That's just and IA and termination waiting to happen. Besides the fact it's just wrong. However, I find it strange he was even allowed to write her a ticket due to the relationship. It's standard practice to call another officer to handle the stop or investigation if it's family, SO, friend, neighbor or nemesis to prevent bias. But I agree, the girlfriend is a jerk for putting him in that situation.

Comments

YDI for even considering not ticketing her, if she broke the law, do your damp job and punish her for it.

OP is gunna need a towel for this damp job.

That's why you don't share shit unless you plan on getting hitched fam

So if they had been married this wouldn't have happened? That is some flawed logic right there...

I'm surprise that nobody ask why do the op and the girlfriend have a joint account instead of a separate account.

If she's dating and living with a cop, wouldn't it make more sense to drive safely all the time??? As well, that's not fair to give people a free pass because you know them. A drunk driver hit me years ago, the cop gave the guy a breathalyzer, he failed big time. I blew a 000. He knew the guy from high school, told him to get a ride home from his brother, leaving his car there overnight. Somehow when we called the insurance and police, there was NO record of him drinking and I was held at fault. Cops aren't above the law...they're supposed to honoring it!!!!!

Report the officer next time, if you know its the right thing to do.

Lizzy500 16

That's a cop that should be fired.

And just to think, if you'd been alone you could have gotten her to give you the old "I'll do anything to get out of a ticket officer" line.

Just have her fight it and don't show up.

RA91 26

Dang, I knew FHP (Florida Highway Patrol) was brutal..But not that brutal, lol!

Make her pay for the ticket. Why should you suffer her consequences?