By guitarki - 26/04/2015 18:49 - United States - Monroe

Today, while with a large group of friends, my best friend started talking about my struggles with dating and intimacy. I quietly asked her to stop talking about it, as it was personal and I wasn't comfortable with everyone else knowing. Her response? "Um, it's really none of your business." FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 224
You deserved it 3 219

guitarki tells us more.

Hey, OP here. I made an account so that I could comment. When it happened, there was nothing I could say to her to make her stop. I asked her several times to please stop talking about it, and I was so embarrassed, but she wouldn't listen to me. I ended up just getting my stuff together and leaving. I'm not very close to the people in the group, so I felt uncomfortable with being so exposed to them. I talked to her afterwards in private and told her that it was really uncool of her to keep talking about it when I asked her to stop. She claimed that she didn't think it was that big of a deal, since when I told her at the time, I didn't say that it was meant to be a secret. I guess I just never thought to let her know that I didn't want her to blab to everyone about my personal issues. She also made sure to clarify to me that when she said it wasn't any of my business, she meant that it was not my conversation to butt into, even though I was literally right beside her. This incident made me realize that she really isn't a very good friend to me. She has never acted this way until recently, so I never thought to avoid telling her things. I do know that I'll definitely not be confiding in her anymore though.

Top comments

I'd reconsider calling her your 'best' friend

Quite the friend you have there OP. Surely hope you put her in her place and took up for yourself since she obviously has no respect for you! Definitely don't trust her anymore...

Comments

Exactly whose business did she think it was? Boundaries/respect convo definitely in order.

Please stop being friends with her. She's toxic.

Your life. Your business. You need a new "best" friend.

cottoncandymango 17

let's reconsider this "best friend" of yours..

momac86 17

Don't tell her in the first place

Why not, maybe op trusted her and thought she would keep it between them?

Holy f*** op!!! I'm got so angry from reading this!! With people like that, who needs enemies!! You don't need people like that in your life!!

Picking friends is a matter of quality over quantity. So do your future self a favor & cut her out your circle!

And I bet she said "Um" in that really bitchy, haughty tone too.

havahnegila 22

I wouldn't call someone who lacks such obvious privacy and boundary etiquette your best friend. My advice?? Don't tell your friend anything you don't want the whole world to know from this point onward.

PizzaElHutt 7