This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Anonymous - 04/11/2017 18:00

Today, while visiting family with my 3-year-old daughter for Halloween, I was berated, called a feminazi, and barred from all further family functions. Why? I dressed my daughter up as Batgirl instead of a princess. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 054
You deserved it 321

Top comments

ohsnapword 21

How dare you! Now go out and buy her an Easy Bake Oven and make sure she understands her role as a woman in 1950's America.

They're just using that as an excuse OP- most extended families have one nuclear family that they gang up on and mistreat. You are honestly better off without them.

Comments

Chris Smith 9

Now your daughter has a legit DC backstory.

smartjaguargurl 17

You don’t need that kind of negativity in your life anyway

ViviMage 38

I don't even want to know how many Elsa and Anna costumes were made, retail and homemade. I usually dressed up as an animal when I was a kid. I like the idea BatGirl! Superhero women that aren't big busty Wonderwomen are important and kinda few and far between! If they are that toxic than you are better off. They will relent when they can't see your child.

I bet you if your daughter were to dress up as a stripper, they’d say they love the Batgirl costume better. Perspective...

For the record, no 3 year old should EVER be dressing as a stripper.

boopingsnoot 24

When I was 3, I was gifted a plastic vanity with a set of princess dresses; despite being a tomboy, I apparently stripped naked in the middle of Family Xmas to try all of them on. Sort of the opposite of your problem?

Assholes, and if you ever get un-banned, keep avoiding them anyhow. I just hope they voiced their (coincidentally) batshit ideas privately and didn't expose the toddler to criticism, rage and bigotry. :-( She may be too young to understand but she can still pick up on vibes. I have no idea what sort of things my parents used to fight about all the time in the other room when I was a kid but I remember the tension and anxiety from hearing the emotion in their voices. It was damaging. Just keep her away from hostile people. And even aside from her, YOU deserve to not deal with hostile people either. I hope the break is freeing for you.

I don't feel like this is the whole story. I feel like you tried to be controversial and make a point of it when no one cares. I can't imagine any family caring about batman. But I can imagine them getting irritated with an aggressive feminist.

Just Some Dood 6

THANK YOU! I can't stand that anyone who doesn't just accept the overly dramatic stories or questions the innocence of the op automatically gets downvotes. the only comments people want on this site is people who are patting the op on the back or making garbage puns. personally I'd bet money that op dressed their daughter as Batman, and most likely WAS being controversial just judging on the fact that it's trending these years, but nobody wants to hear that. I'd also bet money I'll get hate for this comment and more than my fair share of down votes. Just like you.

I don't get your point at all. So you are criticizing the OP because you assumed they left out part of the story, assumed what those actions were, judged the actions (that you just made up yourself) were wrong, and are mad that they therefore misrepresented the story. I mean sure, if you assume everyone is lying and then make up a bunch of stuff that could have happened, I guess to you everyone is telling an incomplete story. Just not sure what you want from folks. Are they supposed to anticipate the alternate story that you are telling yourself and present that to you, or do you only want to hear about events that have extensive third party confirmation? Because if it's the first, you should probably leave the site and just talk to yourself. If it's the second, you should probably leave the site and go read a newspaper or scholastic journal.

onceuponatime456 16

Family like that you don't need! Tell them all to f*kc off. Your daughter will be better off without them, too!

onceuponatime456 16

Sounds to me like you have a serious problem with women! Maybe you should grow up before you post anymore comments!

Yeah, well I'm questioning the validity of your questioning of the post, since you apparently can't or didn't read that questioning, implying, saying, or accusing an FML of being fake is against the site rules. You are also apparently either super bloody sheltered or majorly dedicated to willful ignorance, because families throwing tantrums over stuff like this is stupidly common.

Both my girls 1 and 3 dressed up as batman this year, the 1 year old picked it out. She almost putted the railing down to get it.

What the hell? Your family have a history of brain damage or something?

Um...Batgirl is a girl. At least you didn't dress her up at BatMAN. But still, people who try to dictate how other people raise their kids need to piss off. There is nothing wrong with Batgirl, or any costume for that matter, so long as it's not a racial slur.