By AwkwardWaitress - 20/03/2011 23:29 - United Kingdom

Today, while serving drinks at work to a group of people getting tipsy on wine, I joked about it being obvious who the designated driver was to the only gentleman who'd been religiously sticking to Coke all night. He coldly informed me that he was a recovering alcoholic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 819
You deserved it 15 711

Same thing different taste

Top comments

While I agree that you need to be careful how you joke with customers, in this context I don't find OP's comment that uncalled for.. It is normal to try to build up a good rapport with customers, because they are more likely to come back, and in a casual bar/restaurant this would be pretty common. Also you wouldn't really expect a recovering alcoholic to surround himself with people drinking a lot of wine. If it was that big of a deal for him why is he putting himself in that situation to begin with? Regardless, don't worry about it OP, this shit happens and the world needs to lighten up a bit :P

malisa916 7

Comments

OP, that's not so bad he didn't need to tell you that if he wasn't comfortable sharing that info with you. He could have just agreed with you if it was something he was sensitive about

I agree, that wasn't exactly a bad thing to say, you were just being social. he didn't need to overshare. plus, why are you in a bar if you are recovering alcoholic? terrible place to be IMHO. I hate being around drinking when I can't drink. guess he was having a bad night.

so much for alcoholics being anonymous.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Don't underestimate wine, it has some kick to it, but can give awful hangovers :D

stop drinking the boxed stuff and you'll find out.

It's entirely possible. I've done it plenty of times.

17: Have a lot of wine and not a lot of food? I've heard it makes for one hell of a hangover...

cptmorgan15 2

Because it's an alcoholic beverage, retard.

crazyin321 0

My wine has a higher alcohol content than my hubby's beer. Of course you can get drunk off it.

Um because wine is alcohol? How old are you for not knowing that? 10?

It has higher alcohol content then beer and coolers etc?

The OP was referring to the beverage Coca-Cola. In this case, 'Coke' is not referring to the illegal drug Cocaine.

pimpinpimp 2

to #10. while yes people should know their limit other people also have differences on how sic things affect them and can easily become addicted

perdix 29

It could have been worse since you used the word "religiously." He could have been a Mormon, so sticking to Coke would have made him a big ol' sinner that you just busted.

Hisbabyforever 0
Anai08 17

*confused* Mormon's don't drink Coke?

60, Mormons don't allow themselves caffeine, it's a drug. No coke, coffee, and only some teas.

therealPanama 0

71, I'm a Mormon and i just would like to say this. Mormons can drink caffeine its just we're not suppose to.

emodude44 0

You didn't really deserve it. But at the same time you did. Good for you for trying to be friendly. FYL for it going so wrong.

sovetskiy 8

EDGAR ALLEN PO!!!! I get it :D

LeedsFML 0

Didn't yours? ....its MUM ;)

This is America not England. Mom is correct.

fthku 13

This is the internet. Both are correct, in any case.

30 - This is actually part of the World Wide Web, hence the www in the website's URL. Knowing that, you'll see all countries are involved. I believe this very website was created by French men... wanna keep embarrassing yourself?

..seriously? Did you miss the ;) ? It was obviously a joke.

heyidcstfu 0

I hate when ppl say alcoholism is a disease. it's not a disease, you don't catch it from a virus etc people allow themselves to become physically addicted to it by constantly drinking their lives away. addiction is not disease, get it right. and the addiction isn't like normal addictions, you can die if you quit too abruptly after years of drinking.

addiction is when something destructive in excess is turned into a necessity, on the same level of importance as blinking. people can get addicted and not be able to stop without outside help. it's not a problem with the body, it's a problem with the mind. and for the record: by your logic, autism and cancer aren't diseases either, since you can't catch those from others.

nicolangelo 5
cheeksMcgeeks 3

@78 I'm 100% positive that is not what he even said or intended to imply. Therefore, you are ignorant.

sovetskiy 8

can you "catch" cancer? shut the hell up

xxxthebutcherxxx 2

Alcoholism is a disease. People who don't have it don't understand how it works. I have it and I work a program to stay sober and so far have been successful at doing so. And opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Yeah that's a pretty ignorant comment you got there.. being that alcoholism and addiction is in fact classified as a disease by the American Medical Association. It's people like you that make addicts and alcoholics feel like absolute shit about themselves.