By Awkward - 01/12/2012 22:11 - Bahrain

Today, while lighting a cigarette, I learned the hard way that the amount of styling mousse I used to get my curly hair to become manageable, is the roughly same amount that causes it to become highly flammable. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 993
You deserved it 31 943

Same thing different taste

Top comments

smoking and overuse of hairproducts, yep the fates just have it all decided for you

Atleast you know you had flaming style and smokin' hair.

Comments

That would be a BA hairstyle if it didn't burn so much.

winkydog4056 16

#13_Pray tell Mr. Hulk, exactly WTF IS a BA hairstyle?

iiDangerCloseBK 6

Smoking kills, just not in the way you would have imagined.

pheebs314 17

There's a reason for the warnings on hair products about them being flammable... And why people often use hair spray as a homemade flame thrower.

I personally use Pam or an aerosol deodorant, they smell better afterward than hair spray in my opinion.

pheebs314 17

To be totally honest, I don't know a lot of people that go around making their own flame throwers. There's a lot of trees where I live.

I've had my fun, I still do on some days. Oil doesn't always catch fire. Gas usually does unless it's somewhat soaked up. There's plenty of stuff I shouldn't mention on a site with some kids that imitate stuff lol.

Somebody's been reading too much Steig Larsson. Don't play with fire.

Well I don't blame you on the mousse part because I have curly hair too and know how obnoxious it is but I absolutely hate smoking. So YDI for smoking but your life sucks for needing so much mousse

You should not fault someone for doing a habit you hate, I'm sure you do atleast one habit that someone else hates.

I'm sure their habit doesn't give them and the people around them cancer and other health problems. And I'm sure it doesn't make them smell disgusting either, or cause them to set their hands on fire. Also, their habit probably doesn't involve paying to kill yourself.

47 It's the principle and nobody said Op was one of the ones that smoke anywhere and everywhere, not one of the ones that smoke in private and try to not harm anyone else.

Who the hell catches their hands on fire smoking?

BlueFlatts 20

58 - Bigfoot and Chewbacca, they're ninja smokers.

Where in the fml did it say anything about the op catching their hands on fire?

jer_36 10

You dont need to use mousse. I have very curly hair too and what I do is that I put on the conditioner on my damp hair after my shower. Dont be afraid to use a lot. You dont wash the conditioner off. After your hair is dry it will be much less frizzy.

If I did that my hair would be sooo greasy

devandanae 11

You can over condition your hair that way and, if it gets too bad it can make your hair fall out by the root.

CharresBarkrey 15

Not everyone's curly hair is like yours, 19. I have very curly hair, and leave-in conditioner does absolutely nothing for mine. In fact, I haven't found a single product that will. Only flat irons work.

Haha! It's called a flat iron. I have curly, frizzy hair, and it turns into sleek and shiny straight hair when I use my GHD straightener.

Sometimes curly hair doesn't stay straight. She probably still straightens her hair. Her wonderful, smoke-filled hair.

Yeah I guess. But you can buy products to put in your hair to keep it straight, or if you have completely unruly hair, you can get it done at a hairdressers so that it stays straight and shiny for months. Edit: I think it's called a keratin smoothing treatment that you can get done at a salon.

Not all curlies want straight hair~ Personally I wouldn't trade my curls for anything. Maybe OP feels the same way? :) Granted, there are other ways to tame curly hair than mousse but OP might not have found a way that suits her hair yet.

She may not have been getting rid of the curls. Some of my friends have curly hair and they use hairspray/mousse to smooth down their hair and get rid of any frizz or flyaways.

tj5810 21

This is the same reason I get nervous at hibachi restaurants!

Idiotsspoutcrap 6

ok firstly everyone saying ydi for smoking can go to hell. its none of their ******* business if you smoke. they are doing exactly the same thing they were bitching about on an earlier fml where the guy complained to a woman about buying the ipad. secondly flat irons are worse for your hair than styling products. the exteme heat basically burns your hair to the point that the molecules in it are damaged permenatly. this gives the hair a frizzy, dry look after a few minutes. what op really needs is to go to a professional hair stylist and have them demonstrate the best way to control her hair.

Idiotsspoutcrap - Your username is strikingly appropriate. It's very much my business if people smoke, because it makes my professional life a living hell. People who smoke are at much higher risk for about 482,492 diseases (I may be exaggerating, but not much). It's a major public health issue, one that affects everyone, not just smokers. And please explain how the molecules in the hair are permanently damaged other than drying it out and causing split ends (which can be easily trimmed, last I checked). I'd love to hear this one. I think your head being so far up your ass is affecting your ability to get a clue.

CharresBarkrey 15

Smoke affects everyone around the smoker, not just them. If someone doesn't want lung cancer, they're well within their rights to condemn someone for smoking near them, much more so than someone purchasing an iPad for a 5 year old (which doesn't IN THE LEAST affect them.) Flat irons don't permanently "change" the molecules in hair. Hair grows back, if you haven't noticed. Enjoy your emphysema and lung cancer when you're 50 (I'm assuming you are a smoker since you so feverishly defend it) and have fun with your enormous medical bills.

What DocBastard said pretty much sums it up. How can you get all high and mighty about hair styling tips while sticking up for smokers!?

BlueFlatts 20

I think the only true thing 25 said was in the last sentence of the post. If your using enough hairspray to light your hair in fire you need to seek other options. Everything else is total melarchy and the further responders have it right. A doc would know. This madness has to end, e-cigs seem to fix the problem.

Idiotsspoutcrap 6

Last time i checked smoking is as legal as buying an Ipad so really it is none of your business. if it upsets you move if you set beside the person and develop lung cancer its your fault. secondly when i said the heat permenatly damages molecules i meant the molecules of the existing hair i never meant the new hair. and if you disagree look up the effect of temperature on organic molecules. also eating food is just as likely to cause cancer. the heat given off by digestion damages DNA molecules and the body can only repair them so many times. afterwards the damaged DNA can begin to replicate continuously thus forming a cancerous tumor,and to answer your question, no I am not a smoker but i know people who are.

Idiotsspoutcrap 6

also its perfectly fine to condemn smokers because its expensive and bad for their health, but people who overeat are fine. eating is expensive and kills you. it also makes doctors lives ten times harder than a smoker would.

Idiotsspoutscrap - The first rule if you're losing an argument is to change the subject. We aren't talking about eating or obesity, we're talking about smoking. The second rule is to repeat what you've already said, which you also did. The third rule is to make some shit up about how eating somehow magically gives you cancer, which you also did. Is there anything I left out, or did you want to continue arguing?

Idiotsspoutcrap 6

i never made anything up. i was told that eating gives you cancer from a professor of biology at my university. those are her exact words. if you want i can pm you her email and you can ask her yourself

Idiotsspoutcrap 6

also i never changed the subject. what i did was make an observation that people condemn smokers but are much more lenient to people with eating disorders

Dude, you're arguing with a SURGEON about health issues. Do you honestly think that Doc is the one in the wrong here?!

Idiotsspoutcrap 6

Grimmerie i wasn't ever arguing about the health concerns. i know smoking is bad for you I'm arguing that smokers have a right to smoke without being harassed because of it.

Do you really, honestly, sincerely, truly believe that eating gives you cancer? Wouldn't that mean that everyone who has ever lived should have gotten cancer? That has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen here, and that says a lot. I doubt anyone said that, and if she did, it was probably on April 1.

Idiotsspoutcrap 6

i never said it always does but logically since digestion produces enough heat to damage DNA ( which it does) then there is a small chance that it will damage a part of the DNA that regulates cell replication. the body can repair this most of the time but eventually the body reaches its limit. usually these cells would be destroyed but there are those that do not and would form a stomach cancer. how else is cancer caused? when the DNA of the cells are damaged by chemicals or free radicals the cell begins replicating uncontrollable. Obviously you do not think logically enough to realize this. so eating can cause cancer but it may not be the most likely cause of it.

Maybe a short course in statistics would teach you that while nearly every action in life /can/ cause cancer, some are thousands of times more likely to cause cancer. Regardless, I've never heard of passive eating. Your argument sucks.

Hi 106, I'm currently a student doing radiotherapy. I'll be the lovely lady using radiation to treat cancer. I have to know how every single cancer is caused(the causes we have proven) eating unhealthily e.g too much fat, red meat or not eating enough veggies can cause cancer however eating alone hasn't been proven to cause cancer.

CharresBarkrey 15

Idiotssproutcrap, you are incredibly stupid for someone who is college educated. I don't know where you live, but smoking IS illegal for persons underage. Why? Because it's bad for you. You say eating causes cancer, yet we have to eat to live. In what universe does that make sense? You're arguing with a surgeon who's gone through a hell of a lot more medical training and education than you. I'm honestly surprised Darwinism hasn't taken effect here with you yet.

CharresBarkrey 15

PS - We don't condemn smokers because they're ailing their health, we condemn them because it affects OUR health to be around them. I doubt you would like it if I hung around you with an X-ray machine, taking films of you against your will. You'd eventually have health problems due to it. It's the same concept.

Idiotsspoutcrap 6

if you did that i would get up and leave like you asses need to do when people smoke near you.

Your entire argument is based on a fallacy. Digestion does not create enough heat to damage DNA. If it did, we would all die each time we ate. End of story. Now unless you'd like to come up with an entirely different ridiculous argument, I think you'd better stop before you make yourself look even more foolish.

Idiotsspoutcrap, I live in France where a very large part of the population smokes. I can't walk in the streets without having a smoker in front of me. I can't enter a building without passing through a cloud of smoke from people standing outside because they're not allowed inside (luckily). YES, of course it's MY business. It affects my health. If people want to ruin their health (eating crap etc), it's their choice, as someone above said, there is no such thing as passive eating, but when their behaviour affects directly my well being, you bet I'm going to say something against it! And your argument about moving is stupid. What should I do? Move to another country? Oh and finally, "Obviously you do not think logically enough to realize this." Are you out of your ******* mind? You're speaking to a surgeon who spent years studying something you don't have the slighest clue about.