By sfabsits - 17/07/2011 07:00 - United States

Today, while I was waitressing, two girls ran up a tab of $60 in drinks. They ended up not paying the bill and walking out. My boss told me it won't be the first time or last, as he made me pay their bill. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 921
You deserved it 3 298

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah... that's called being a selfish, inconsiderate, ignorant bitch. I would let that fly under my nose. I'd ******* hunt you down.

Comments

perdix 29

That's an occupational hazard when you choose a career that deals with drunks. As Mr. T says: Don't be a fool, stay in school and get a job where the people around you are nominally sober.

apriltwentieth 4

Maybe the OP is still in school and is serving on the side to cover tuition bills, etc.? Something you've clearly never had to do. Oh, and there are professional servers who make over $120,000 / year at some of the most high end restaurants in the world, probably more than you make in 4 years.

perdix 29

You are wrong on every count. I did work in college and I do very well now. I stayed in school and work in a environment where no one is drunk. If I want to hang out with drunks, I have to seek them out.

And bragging about it does what, exactly, for your credibility? Nothing wrong with the service industry--until dipshits like yourself start disparaging those who work it. Because hey, when people like you start trivializing the workers, it just makes it that much easier for pencil dick bosses like the OPs to **** them over. Hope you're proud!

ReynshineCutting 10

He didn't say anything was wrong with the service industry, just that there are risks working in it, just like any other industry. It's also OPs choice to work around drunks and they should realize what all that involves. I liked your comment :)

How do you know OP works with drunks? It could be just a cafe or so.

GypsyHearted 2

Perdix was making light of the situation, calm down or don't post.

In Canada we have a thing called the labor board that takes a dim view towards illegal deductions. But we're just a bunch of pinko commies--the American way of ******* over the working class is just so much better...

EODTEC 5

and I guess having heads that bob up and down when you talk is so much better too.

hey, we have a labor board here, too, so Ha!

It's not how it works.. Try reading some of the other comments before commenting yourself. What the boss did was illegal! Also how would you know if that's how it works? According to your profile you're only 14!

harder to leave without paying with a waitress who frequents the table.

a_nutritionist 10
mintcar 9

You work to make money not lose it. WTF? Doesn't sound like a place I would want to work at.

That's how waitressing works op.. Someone walks out and you're generally responsible for the bill. It sucks either way but you should've done a little research and then you'd have known what to expect..

OMG... $60 in drinks that you didn't even drink :(

patacus 14

thats illegal dude. too bad its also illegal to sue your employer (at least in many states it is)

It's not illegal to sue your employer in most states unless you work for the DoD

apriltwentieth 4

That is completely illegal no matter what state. I have years of industry experience in restaurants as well as professional culinary and management training, which included hospitality law classes. Go to your manager and calmly explain that it is against the law for him to ask you to cover their tab. Any real restaurant will have an expense account set up for comped meals, etc. and he is just pushing you around and using you so he doesn't have to charge it to that account.

I know in the UK and Canada the laws on this a pretty much the same, an employer cannot make a deduction from wages if: * the purpose is to cover a loss due to "faulty work." For example, a mistake in a credit card transaction. or * the employer has a cash shortage or has had property lost or stolen when an employee did not have sole access and total control over cash or property that is lost or stolen. Since it was theft by a third party OP would not have to pay. I will make the assumption that you are correct and this is also the case with US law..

wnorris57 0

here in the states it's completely legal. 9 times out of 10 you sign an agreement that states you may be required to recover lost money and it's understandable, as a server it's your requirement to ensure your patrons pay up for drinking up

Actually getting you to sign those forms in the first place is illegal.. I looked into this out of interest and it is definitely illegal. It is illegal to have that as a company policy, illegal to implement it.. 100% totally illegal. They can sack you for not watching your tables but they cannot make you pay for something a third party stole..