By I can't stand leg puns - 30/07/2018 18:08 - United Kingdom - Feltham

Today, while I was out for a walk, a little boy asked if he could try on my prosthetic leg. Being as nice as possible, knowing that he probably didn't understand, I told him no. He screamed and his mum coldly told me I'm a terrible person and should have let him try it on. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 368
You deserved it 271

Top comments

ohsnapword 21

You're a monster. Don't you know it's common courtesy to allow other people to try on your horrendously expensive, custom made prosthetic?

Zekfen 17

That wasn’t really a boy and his mother, but Rocket and Groot in disguise. Good choice, you prevented it from being stolen!

Comments

ohsnapword 21

You're a monster. Don't you know it's common courtesy to allow other people to try on your horrendously expensive, custom made prosthetic?

Zekfen 17

That wasn’t really a boy and his mother, but Rocket and Groot in disguise. Good choice, you prevented it from being stolen!

How the heck do people with legs even try on prosthetic ones?

You traumatized the poor kid! He’s going to need lots of therapy and that’s going to cost... ...wait on it... ...an arm and a leg!

PenguinPal3017 19

This is when you say "santa isn't real" and walk away smugly.

PenguinPal3017 19

I always hope the people in these see it posted online and read the comments and are filled with shame. That mother is a horrible human being.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
julfunky 29

I’m terribly sorry for your ordeal. That said, you posted on a platform that is mostly filled with people making sarcastic jokes and puns. You may actually want to refrain from posting here if it is upsetting. Just a tip.

Zekfen 17

Actually I would make the same jokes. I was born partly deaf in both ears, bad vision, and a speech impediment, and I actually make jokes about all three all the time. I also have a son who is autistic and a type 1 diabetic, I have to deal with all the rude comments all the time myself about how obviously I gave him too much sugar, or how it could be fixed with diet and exercise, or questions asking if he is like Rain Man. In the end, how if affects you is about your attitude toward yourself. My son cracks jokes all the time about his situation, as do I. He is only 12. I actually submitted an FML about a situation we just had, if it gets posted I’ll look forward to the witty comments people like Richard come up with. Remember, as somebody above said, you posted to a site known for its sarcastic jokes and banter. If you want people to pity you and cry over you, go to a support group. I can assure you FML is not such a group.

OP, while I empathize with your situation, you picked the wrong forum if you didn't expect what you got. I guess you could say you really don't have a leg to stand on in this matter. You really kneed to hoof it over to another forum before it goes any further than ankle deep.

Your user name is “I can’t STAND leg puns”. Come on...

ChromoTec 24

Lighten up my man. Beers on me. Don't worry, I'll foot the bill.

OP again. I apologize for my earlier outburst, I was having an off day after my friend told me I cry too much since the accident. You guys make whatever jokes you want, I don't even care anymore. And I'll be changing my username, as it wasn't meant to be a pun, but a statement. I'm sure you'll continue to make fun of me, but whatever.

Zekfen 17

We aren’t making fun of you. We are making fun of the situation you posted the FML about. It isn’t something personally directed at you or about you. This is where the attitude part of my comment comes into play. Our jokes aren’t meant to belittle you, bully you, or anything else personally directed at you. Does your situation suck? Sure. Would I wish it on anybody? Maybe some politicians. But I haven’t seen any jokes or negative comments directed straight at you in a bullying or hateful manner. I thought your username was a hilarious pun showing somebody who was given a shitty hand but has accepted it and has a good sense of humor about it. When life gives you lemons, shock the hell out of the world and make grape juice.

OP, I’m sorry you have so many people ignoring your needs for a cheap laugh. You are totally allowed to dislike jokes about your situation, and it’s very rude for people to tell you to suck it up because you chose to post here. Instead, people should listen to you and understand that their jokes aren’t appropriate on this post. I’m sorry so many people don’t have more compassion. Ps. Your “friend” who said you cry too much since your accident isn’t a true friend. I’m a very emotional person in general, and I have to surround myself with people who understand that and even appreciate it. I’m lucky that I have many loving people around me. If you ever need to vent, feel free to shoot me a message. :)

That sucks, man (or whatever). But, if you aren't already, that would be a perfectly reasonable response to people's requests to try on your leg: i.e. "Sure! But it won't fit right unless your leg gets torn off by a speeding car, so just go run into the street and wait a bit."

Speaking as someone lives with horrible disabilities, gone through multiple failed surgeries, and incredibly long and painful recovery after such surgeries, lighten the hell up. Being so defensive is not good for your mental health. You're letting your disability define you.

ari330 21

that's ridiculous. people are insensitive and crazy and I'm so sorry you have to go through this in your daily life. hopefully things start looking up for you.

If anybody is directly making fun of you it would be because of how you react to it, not because of the disability itself.

People, I react this way because people don't shut up about it. I wasn't exactly the most socially confident person to begin with, I was bullied before the accident, it's just used as an excuse to bully me further. As for those of you who have disabilities and joke about it or at least don't let it bother you, that's totally fine. I'm not as strong or open as you. I don't respond well to change. I was sick for 3 days just from moving house, this is a bit bigger. So don't tell me to lighten up, or tell me I'm taking this too personally. I'm an introverted, anxiety-filled teenage girl who is bullied and harassed by total strangers on a daily basis, as well as all of the people I'm forced to see at school. It's bad enough that I have to live every day knowing I'll never be ME again, I don't need people reminding me of it, making fun of me for it, or judging me for not reacting the way they did. I know people are still going to tear into me for this, but I'm not a stable person, and I KNOW it.

"I react this way because..." is the first part of the issue. You're making a self-appointed crutch ( no pun intended ) to act a certain way. And while I can understand being triggered by certain things, you really should learn to recognize when something is a personal attack and when it is not. None of the jokes were directed at you and they were even trying to make light of your FML... which this site is all about... in order to make others laugh. Obviously they and we were on your side, but then you went and made a huge deal out of something that was in actuality very small and well, normal? Everyone is different but humor is a great way to cope, and for your own mental health, I'd recommend becoming more familiar with it and not letting everything become a personal vendetta against you and things you've been through. Because at the end of the day... every single person on this plant has been through some sort of pain in their lives, but it's how we choose to handle that shows character and defines a person. Best wishes.

hey, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I did not realise it was upsetting. I'm afraid I thought the username was a pun and a challenge for us to come up with some funny puns to make you and the community here laugh. please be assured no one is laughing at you at all. I thought I was laughing WITH you. I have read some of your FMLs in the past and they are heartbreaking. Please take care of yourself OP. have you ever heard of a British comedy how called the Last Leg? I find it hilarious as it is a topical news comedy show and quite left wing. but the presenter happens to have a prosthetic leg, hence the name, and one of the main people on there has a prosthetic leg too and hand deformities. it might be worth checking out if you like comedy. Take care OP. I would recommend changing the username as it reads as a fun challenge and please be aware that any puns on this site are not meant cruelly or maliciously, but in a show of solidarity to show we can laugh at life and have your back, to make you laugh.

and I noticed you live in the UK which is shocking for me as someone to be treated as you are here, is a terrible thing. Please go to the headteacher about this, in person. because I believe a lot of what you are experiencing may be a hate crime and bullying based in disability which HAS to be taken seriously by the school. If they don't, take it to the governor's or your local MP.

You complain about being bullied, but getting all defensive about it is part of the reason you get bullied. It sucks sure, but that's how bullies are. They enjoy causing distress and making others feel worse, so the more you allow it to happen the more you will get bullied. And I can assure you that if you try to make light of your situation that you'll have a much easier time ignoring the random people saying crap about it.

bl3ur0z3 17

Your life is going to get better. No, your leg won't grow back and yes, you'll find insensitive jerks everywhere. You'll be you again, even if it's a new version of you. You will find strength to deal with the injustice life has dealt you. Many people deal with injustice with humor. My mother joked about her cancer. You might not have the strength now, but if you can find humor, you can build the strength. The key is to find people who genuinely mean no harm with their jokes. There is a line between humor and cruelty, but if you recognize which side a comment falls on, it'll be easier. Only you can decide whether to be happy. Don't wallow in your misery too long or it'll consume you. Find a support group for people who have lost limbs. they'll help you see the light at the end of the tunnel. Most important, don't take anybody too seriously. Some people don't mean to be taken seriously, others don't deserve it.

bl3ur0z3 17

Your life is going to get better. No, your leg won't grow back and yes, you'll find insensitive jerks everywhere. You'll be you again, even if it's a new version of you. You will find strength to deal with the injustice life has dealt you. Many people deal with injustice with humor. My mother joked about her cancer. You might not have the strength now, but if you can find humor, you can build the strength. The key is to find people who genuinely mean no harm with their jokes. There is a line between humor and cruelty, but if you recognize which side a comment falls on, it'll be easier. Only you can decide whether to be happy. Don't wallow in your misery too long or it'll consume you. Find a support group for people who have lost limbs. they'll help you see the light at the end of the tunnel. Most important, don't take anybody too seriously. Some people don't mean to be taken seriously, others don't deserve it.

bl3ur0z3 17

Your life is going to get better. No, your leg won't grow back and yes, you'll find insensitive jerks everywhere. You'll be you again, even if it's a new version of you. You will find strength to deal with the injustice life has dealt you. Many people deal with injustice with humor. My mother joked about her cancer. You might not have the strength now, but if you can find humor, you can build the strength. The key is to find people who genuinely mean no harm with their jokes. There is a line between humor and cruelty, but if you recognize which side a comment falls on, it'll be easier. Only you can decide whether to be happy. Don't wallow in your misery too long or it'll consume you. Find a support group for people who have lost limbs. they'll help you see the light at the end of the tunnel. Most important, don't take anybody too seriously. Some people don't mean to be taken seriously, others don't deserve it.

The kid’s mum was the butt of my arm and a leg joke, so I feel no guilt about it. I feel sorry that happened to you, but also that you expected more from the FML crowd. We’re sarcastic pricks.

SailorSolaris 43

For me, the bullying stopped when I stopped getting defensive and turned their remarks back on them. One guy once called me a bitch and I said “if being a bitch means being who I really am, then thanks for the compliment.” It’s the easiest way to make them stop, in my experience. Also, sorry you don’t handle change well. Maybe you can find something that will help you cope or make it easier?

If it upsets you to read stupid jokes and puns about your leg maybe you should limit your internet usage until you can. Its seem to be bad for your mental health.

PenguinPal3017 19

I wish you the best. Don't give up. I wish I was there to pepper spray people who harass you.

Paul B. Gyurcsanszky 14

At least you know where the little brat gets it from!

Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20

Hey leave the kid out of there. They propably just thought that was a fancy mech-suit...

The two questions I'm asked the most are "Are you a cyborg" and "Can I try it on". I'm also driven insane by the millions of "I'm sorry"s I get every single day. Like, unless you're the driver of the car, stop saying you're sorry!

Yea and if you had given the kid your leg he could have A. Ran off with it B. Ran off with it and hurt himself. C. Ran off with it, hurt himself which could lead to a lawsuit.

ChromoTec 24

Or D. committed some crime with it. Maybe E. where he tries it on and then returns it, but what are the odds of that?

Yeah we don’t sue everyone for the sake of it in the U.K. that’s just Americans.

corky1992 33

Or maybe she needs to teach her son that he doesnt get everything he wants