By Protectress - 23/08/2011 06:50 - United States

Today, while going around trying to find a job, a manager came up to ask me, "Are you looking to work here?" I nodded happily, hoping this would be the end of my search. She looked me up and down, saw I had a jacket on to hide my tattoos and said, "Sorry, I can't hire heroin addicts." FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 185
You deserved it 10 505

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Stereotypical much? Wow, that would be a shitty manager to work for...

ramboman19 8

That is rude for her to assume you're a drug addict because of tattoos. Some tattooed people I know are the nicest and best workers ever.

Comments

She sounds pretty judgmental. Trust me you don't want a boss like that anyway

just imagine if you started working there, things wouldve been much worse.

People might want to think about getting a tattoo a bit longer. I'm not saying what the manager did is right but there's loads of places that won't hire you if you have a visible tattoo and that's something you knew when you got it...

BelleBelle_fml 11

So true. I do like tattoos, but I don't think I'll ever get one. That's partly due to what you said, and partly because I have worked in convelesant hospitals and have seen a lot of elderly people that got tattoos when they were young and now are all faded, spread out, and basically just look like blobs of ink.

VasilisaUzhasnaj 29

Perhaps some people still hope that in this day and age, others won't be as close-minded and judgmental as they were in the past. I guess it's just wishful thinking.

I agree with you completely and i know people who make sure that they get tattoos where they can be easily hidden. But what the manager said was completely judgememtal and repugnant.

ReynshineCutting 10

I have 2 tattoos and only one is visible, but it's small and can be easily covered if I need to. It's not being closed minded to not hire people covered in tattoos. Yes people all inked up can be great people, but from a business standpoint it's totally unprofessional and in the business world professionalism is a priority. It may suck but you have to think of the image your employees are giving your business. That's just the reality of the business world.

I'm in the food industry, and nobody cares about visible tattoos on cooks, or back of house people. Front of house, depending on restaurant, varies. Visible tattoos are considered "unprofessional" and always will be. I wouldn't appreciate my doctor having his girlfriends name tattooed on his neck. I have tattoos, but they are not visible when I'm at work.

Exactly. It's almost a YDI for having tattoos. Nothing wrong with them per se, but they do create judgment (and employment) issues and it is pretty much common knowledge.

And you're just asking for trouble if you get a tattoo of needlemarks. Personally I'd get a tattoo saying "Buy milk, bread,....." and then leave lots of space for anything I'd want to add each day.

robc32ca 4

Don't judge a book by his needle holes and momentary inability to feel pain.

Shadow_Phantom 26

Ugh. I hate people like that. FYL.

As a professional working in a hospital setting it is difficult to have tattoos around elderly patients because they are from a time when tatts were taboo... so if working with geriatrics id keep em covered

brendensmama 3

I think a lot are missing the point of this story, the tattoos were never the issue, arms were covered. It's because of the covered arms that the a-hole manager assumed op was a drug addict. I always wear long sleeves to job interviews, it just looks more professional, nothing wrong with that. Fyl op, but you will find a place with more tolerance to work, this one clearly makes bad assumptions and may have missed out on hiring an incredible person.

audiophileMom 11

Thank you! It was driving me nuts that nobody read right. Also a longsleeve blouse or a blazer make more sense than a jacket... Thumbs up brendensmama!

CoffeeZ 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

How do you now she has tattoos from head to ankle? She could have just had them on just had them on her arms.(I was unable to finish the edit in time.)

Well u must be saying that from experience then

She could just have one on her arm but fouls think of no other way to cover them quickly besides a jacket. I have one on my right forearm. I cover it with a big bracelet.

dudeitsdanny 9

Well, tattoos imples more than one, so she can't have just one tattoo..

Damn, what made her assume that it was heroin and not other stuff? FYL.

VasilisaUzhasnaj 29

Probably personal experience.