By Anonymous - 10/11/2012 07:23 - United States

Today, while at work, a customer gave me a $20 tip. I explained to him we aren't allowed to accept tips, but he insisted. When I called the manager to report it, he pocketed my tip. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 475
You deserved it 30 305

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should have just accepted it of he was being that persistent about it

linx468 8

"When I called the manager to report it" People like you make me ******* sick.

Comments

braydin72 6

Ethics is what you will allow yourself to do when no one will know. Your ethics are good and you can't account for the manager that pocketed the tip.

AI'm astounded at all the idiots here telling OP to keep the money and not report it. Are you people ******* serious? OP says that accepting tips is against company policy, and he did the right thing. You're all in for a REALLY nasty surprise when you actually get jobs and find out what the real world is actually like.

cray_cray 2

I always accept tips... But then again I'm a server.

hooligyn123 18

As a server tips are almost always OK to accept. At my retail job it was auto termination if a cashier took a tip.

For real. My sister once got fired for using her employee discount to buy something for me. Corporate America has no mercy.

BubbleGrunge 18

Take it a step farther, I was a preschool teacher for 8 years. if we would get stuck with a child after hours, any money the parent left, had to go to the school depending on how long the child was left. I was once stuck a half an hour with a child. The parents paid 30.00 to the school and i got only and extra three bucks for the half hour I was there. Nice, huh? But, I followed protocol because well I needed my job.

afairshake 8

I have to agree with Doc there. Policy is policy and your manager is the one who will get in trouble should it come up. You did the right thing by following the rules and doing your job you're not an idiot. An idiot is a person willing to risk their job for $20.

I agree with Doc Bastard. You guys calling OP an idiot need a wake up call. If accepting tips is against company policy, you face automatic termination of employment if you accept one. He did the right thing and his manager deserves to lose his job. Rules are rules.

His manager deserves to loose his job? Why?

22- because his manager stole from OP, and technically accepted a tip against policy. That's termination-worthy material.

monkiki62 5

Oh yeah because the "real world" works like that. For example the manager took her money as his own so that is also against policy you righteous tard.

Although #17 has a point, no one can really offer a "yes you should've" or "no you shouldn't have" answer since we don't know what type of work the OP does. One solution may have been to do like where I work--when my clients send me a fruit basket or other nice little thing, which is against policy, I disperse it amongst my co-workers. Management has made this an acceptable solution. OP could've gotten a couple of pizzas or something like that. When I worked in the nursing home, families would push money on us during Christmas time like it was going out of style. Some of us would buy lunch for ourselves and others, some of us would keep it and not saying anything. So let's keep the criticizing to a minimum--congrats, OP, for holding to your morals.

gregkingsley 4

Split it next time that way if u go down for it so does the manager.

Regardless of whether or not it was a good move to report the tip, I am disgusted at your manager who pocketed something you earned with hard work. He should have at least given it back or split it between the workers on shift.... I wonder if the customer knows who kept his large tip....

bladedrose 3

Tell the customer that you cant accept tips. Say thank you, put it in your pocket and don't tell any of your co-workers about it. And there you go, lol.

And then risk the douchebag manager finding out you've been ignoring company policy and accepting tips, whether it's through the customer returning at a later point and mentioning their generosity to a tattle-tale or the manger himself, or through this wonderful device called a security camera. Because yeah, it's totally worth losing your job for twenty bucks. And there you go, lol.

DeadxManxWalking 27

I would have just taken it and said it was my own money.