By mcmacmick97 - 11/04/2014 00:08 - United States - Egg Harbor Township

Today, while already late for work, a cop pulled me over. When he got to my window, he said, "Oh sorry, I thought I knew you," and sent me on my way. I was relieved, but still got written up for being late to work. My boss didn't believe the story. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 013
You deserved it 3 963

mcmacmick97 tells us more.

Just to clear some things up I was working the early shift, which I do on most Thursdays and Fridays. I work at a small diner that opens at 7 and had left my house around 6:40 and was going to show up around 7-7:05. My boss usually shows up around 7:15-:7:30. Now when this cop put his lights on behind me I turned down a street to get off of the main road I was on.I was getting my license/registration ready and all that shit and he pulled up to my window and said he was very sorry and he was just trying to say hi to an old friend that he said had the same car as i do. Now this road i pulled down didn't allow me to get back onto the main road, and I had to take a 15 or so minute detour to get back on track. I got there around 7:25 and my boss was already there. I was glad I didn't get a ticket, but it was still very frustrating because I would've only been a couple minutes late and my boss would never have known, but the police officer threw my time off. And ive only been working there for about 3 or so weeks so it sucks to get off on the wrong foot. I also noticed several of you talking about how many write-ups you can get before being fired, and for mine it's 3. Like somebody else said just sucks to waste one already, but i shouldnt have too much of a problem keeping myself in check. Now for the story I told him, I figured he wouldn't believe it, but had to tell anyway. He seemed more irritated that I was "lying" about being late so i probably shouldnt have even bothered. But thanks FML for posting!

Top comments

Getting written up is still a lot better than a ticket, in my opinion.

Though that really is bad luck, you said you were already running late before he pulled you over anyway. At my job, 2 mins or 20 mins late, it doesn't matter-so leave for work sooner next time!

Comments

Getting written up is still a lot better than a ticket, in my opinion.

Especially a ticket that could end up on your driving record, and possibly increase your insurance rates.

jojimugo 20

True, but what if in their workplace you only get a number of write ups before you get fired? Op just wasted one because of the damn cop

Don't do things that you get written up for? Seems like a simple solution

Yes 14, because OP knew he would get pulled over by the cop.

I would actually prefer the ticket. My company has a policy where you get 3 write ups and then you're fired, but only 1 write up will cause you to not be eligible for raises, transfers, or promotions. And we can get written up for very stupid things.

Why is #14 getting down voted? The FML states that the OP was "already late for work". Getting pulled over would not have changed that, and it sounds like the cop only took a few minutes of the OP's time before getting sent on his way. OP should be happy that there wasn't a ticket given and work on his time management to be at work on time. I know that there are asshole bosses but never heard of one that would make the effort to bother writing someone up unless it was an ongoing issue.

No, OP was already running late. He would have gotten a write up anyways.

No, op was already running late, the thing with the cop couldn't have taken more than 5 minutes. Op deserves it

Well, you never know, OP may have made it on time if the cop didn't stop him. Or maybe being pulled over by the cop made him run into the boss when he got to work. Anything could have happened and we have all gotten to places late at one point or another so you guys can't say anything.

Hey, next time the cop pulls you over, he'll remember who you are.

Just because the cop thought he knew the OP does not give him justification to pull him over.

Wait why is this thumbed down but not the second? is it not the other way around?

I flagged the second one, it's been removed

ThatOneGuy719 16

The story N.W.A tells about the police is completely true

iOceanus 18

4: Clearly the cop should be more careful. If I was a cop, I'd totally do that to my friends, but I'd at least memorize their license plate number to make sure it was them.

#28 I was wondering the same thing. I didn't know how to get rid of the second post, but I figured that it would sort itself out eventually. I didn't want to flag my own post, though.

I don't know about USA, but in Canada it's illegal to pull someone over without having a justifiable reason

Just because the cop thought he knew the OP does not give him justification to pull him over.

This is true, and I'm sure there is a way for you to get that cop in trouble, but that would be assuming you knew which one it was...

As much as you dont like it, the cop was completely justified. They can pull you over on suspicion.

Though that really is bad luck, you said you were already running late before he pulled you over anyway. At my job, 2 mins or 20 mins late, it doesn't matter-so leave for work sooner next time!

askullnamedbilly 33

Absolutely. Cop or no cop, OP was late for work because they got out of the house too late. Pulling someone over and realizing it's the wrong person shouldn't take much more than five minutes.

Yeah I don't think a minute stop off really affected the lateness in any way.

Honestly, if I were your boss, I wouldn't believe that story either. I've never heard of that happening before, especially because no cop should pull you over just to see if he knew you! That really sucks that that had to happen to you on a day you were already running late.:(

Better believe it, no but really why would his boss not trust him on his story unless OP is a generally untrustworthy person?

I've heard stories like that, but it's normally along he lines of "My cop friend pulled me over last week to mess with me, scared the shit out of me!" I could see how if OP drives the same car and looks generally the same through a window a cop could try playing a joke on a buddy and getting the wrong person.

All OP had to say was that he was late for being pulled over and use that as the reason why he was late.

lexiieeex3 32

I'm really sorry OP, but look on the bright side, you would have been even LATER to work if you had gotten a ticket.

I must be lucky, my boss doesn't even notice if I am in the office or not.

MrZsDad 19

Why should he believe you? If you got written up this wouldn't Be the first time you were late. Late is late, and you were going to be either way.

That's not true, a lot of companies write you up on any first time being late and other "mistakes".

You can easily be written up the first time your late at most places.