By jitterbug - 02/01/2015 05:36 - United States - Salt Lake City

Today, when my roommate asked me what was wrong, I told him that something I ate was making me feel sick. He works 10+ hours a day, and I didn't have the heart to tell him that the putrid smell of his feet was making me nauseous. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 736
You deserved it 4 733

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I think he would prefer you tell him than let him walk around smelling that badly. He could get fired if it's as bad as you say and customers smell it. Just be polite about it and he'll likely just say thanks and go have a shower.

tossaway2321 5

Comments

Tell him, when you can, that he needs a shower, or some foot powder, but it was kind of you not to say it was that making you feel sick.

I'm sure he'd appreciate it more if you told him than some stranger...

If you can't tell him straight forwardly, you could just drop subtle hints like smelling his feet and throwing up. Hope that helped OP.

I read this 'advice' and my eyes bled, hope that helped.

Jellysweetheart 23

That's really rude. How would you feel if someone did that to you?

This is the second stupid comment I've read from you. First commenting it's your birthday when it didn't even have anything to do with the fml, now this.. Great advice btw. *cough*

might not be good advice, but i did have a good laugh.

I know your pain OP. One of my brother-in-laws has a horrible foot stench as well. He knows it, we know it, he just does nothing about it, even after we tell him about it numerous times about the stench (he clears rooms and thinks it's funny). The best thing to do is just to tell your roommate about the smell is to be straightforward about it. He may not notice it since he's use to his own smell or even care but just tell him. You live there as well, no reason for you to suffer in silence.

Steve95401 49

Paging Dr. Scholl, emergency.

romeonsingcross 15

I think that you mean nauseated. Saying that you are nauseous would imply that you are making your roommate feel sick.

Nauseous has two meanings actually. One being what you said and the other in the sense that the OP was using it: affected with nausea; inclined to vomit: "a rancid, cloying odor that made her nauseous." Source: my dictionary.

brasiliano 16

#18 get with the times. The rules of using that word has changed and to use nauseous for both meaning is now accepted. like stated in the comment above me.

And how do you figure it came to be that way? By gross misuse. Just like how "irrespective" doesn't even make sense, yet because so many people don't understand how their own language works, it forced its way into paper. Your retort simply that it's in the dictionary is irrelevant.

If we simply used words in their original way, awful would mean "to inspire awe " and prestigious would mean something along the lines of "deceptive". I'm sure there are more, but I'm not interested in searching to find them. The English language itself thrives on change and evolution. Saying that something is wrong because it has been changed is actually a pretty awful (used in the modern sense obviously) argument.

brasiliano 16

#39 does matter if it got changed due to misuse or any other reason. the fact that it's now changed is what matters. so being corrected on something that op was actually right about is stupid. like the comment above me stated. everything evolves.

It's not so much that specifically the English language thrives on change and evolution, it's that ALL living languages change over time, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Languages that have writing systems do tend to change slower than languages that don't, but the process isn't halted completely. The only languages that don't change are dead languages. (former linguistics major here)

anthonyksee 11

Buy him new shoes on his birthday

brasiliano 16

It's not just the shoes. socks and hygiene and some good powder is needed too.

Dude get that roommate some gold bond powder