By disconnected - 23/09/2014 20:19 - Brazil - Santa Maria

Today, we spent an entire day without being able to do work because our internet connection was down. Turns out, only the router had crashed and nobody bothered to reset it "to avoid doing further damage". FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 513
You deserved it 3 452

Same thing different taste

Top comments

afkwarrior 25

Aw. All you had to do was delete System32. Why are people so fearful of IT still?!

At least now you know how to slack off at work. It may come in handy the next time you go to work hung over.

Comments

I'm not sure I see a problem here. I figured you still got paid for a full day of work. So you got paid to do nothing the whole day? This would happen more often!

This is a problem if people have work that needs to be done within a time frame. no customer is going to hear "our Internet was down for two weeks" and decide that's a valid reason for their project to not get finished.

and people blame internet service providers...

The router might have been supplied by the ISP. Still bothers me when people dont want to try for themselves on technology just because it is a different color or the face plate looks different. "how do you open this thing?" "Press eject." "how was i supposed to know? it doesnt look like the one at my house."

I don't think it's necessarily a lack of effort but more a lack of knowledge. People may know the basics of a computer but that's it, anything related to problem solving or router stuff is out of their spectrum. IT stuff is a language and a lot people don't understand it. Best to explain it all slowly and without judgement showing them how it's done so they can learn and do it themselves next time. The worst thing to do is to just breeze through it and make them feel stupid for not knowing it.

Sounds like you had a day of rest now you can just make up the work tomorrow :) though I think this FML has something to do with the stupidity of your coworkers/boss which sadly you can't fix :o sorry OP

chill99 15

What they meant was "to avoid doing further *work*"

Chiroptera_Man 10

Kinda sounds like no body wanted to work

skittyskatbrat 19

Makes me wonder if the company has torn into/fired/reprimanded workers for stepping outside their job descriptions to fix things in the past. If that's the case, the company just lost a day of work from many people for their draconian behavior :D FYL, but a probable YDI for the place you work.

As an IT specialist, I can tell you it is definitely better if people just don't touch what they don't understand instead of messing around themselves. That being said, I wonder why the company has no IT staff on site...

Gauchos, they're the best at everything, sis ;)

That's better than coworkers who take it upon themselves to fix something out of their scope of abilities and **** it up even more. Either way you're still fixing it.