By Anonymous - 01/03/2018 11:44

Today, I found out my new husband is actually an illegal immigrant using me for citizenship, and is now forcing me to house his parents, 5 siblings, and 3 grandparents who are now able to pass through immigration. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 627
You deserved it 2 115

Top comments

Where is this? That's not how it works in the US, not at all. You don't have to do any of that and even if you do it doesn't give him any legal status, much less his family.

You should try having your marriage annulled since he married you under false pretenses. That hopefully will mean that he and his family are deported.

Comments

see if you can do an annulment or divorce his ass! And then move on to somebody who loves you for you and treat you right

manb91uk 22

This story is obviously not from the US. If it were, your whole family would be rounded up and sent to do forced labor building the wall. When they are finally sealing it up, they’ll be on the other side.

lkb307 21

report him. this is abuse and other crimes

Chain migration is a thing. And it’s wrong. People use it to take advantage of the system. True for everyone? No. But in some countries even immediate family ties doesn’t entitle you to stay in their country of citizenship.

Not to mention marrying to cheat the immigration system is very illegal. An ex of mine tried to do that ... I moved out of the area and didn’t tell her where I went.

Eh, it can be your good deed for the time being. I know it's illegal and deceitful, but you may well be improving lives here. But then, by all means, kick them out. Don't let yourself be used any further.

This sounds fishy. FIRST any non-native person can't speak the language as perfectly as the born-citizens of any given country. That means that OP knew that her husband-to-be was a 'foreigner'. Or an illegal alien if that's the case. SECOND. In order to become a citizen-by-marriage, the petitioner would take about 6-7 years to become a Citizen, not 3-4 yrs like someone commented. At least in the USA. After the person becomes a citizen he then applies for his relatives in a particular order: parents and then siblings. AND then is the wait. Most times it takes 5 years for the relatives to get 'selected for application review'. I know this by my own experience. And yes is a pain in the... but is worth it. And no. I wasn't an illegal alien. I was a tourist. On vacation. That happened to conquer my lovely wife. And she wouldn't go with me to my country.

Just have to make a comment about your first point: America is not the only place that speaks English, he could be from Canada. Additionally there are many other countries in the world where people learn English to near-native fluency and have no accent at all (Sweden, The Netherlands, etc.)

Chris_1163187222 15

Actually got mine within 18 months as did several of our friends who also met during college.. get your facts right

Chris_1163187222 15

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

You can at least get permanent residency in the US (green card) pretty quickly but you have to stay married for at least 3 years to keep it I believe

raspution 21

one year i have been through it

KnowsWhatAJokeIs 4

You just debunked your own FML...

My dad is from Canada and came to the US. He can speak English just as well as an American, probably better. He’s a foreigner technically. So her fiancé may have been from another English speaking country or a country that uses English just as often as the native language, so they could be perfectly fluent. They might not have an accent or have lost their accent. There are a lot of ways that this could be legit. It’s a lot easier to get citizenship if you have a spouse that is already a citizen. It took my dad less than a year to get citizenship.

Leviathene 34

From the wording of this comment, this person is not OP. I think there needs to be a serious overhaul with this site. Not just this, but being unable to edit your own comments is ridiculous.

thatslifeiguess7 16

Thank you my ex took 10 long years. If I was the poster I would totally call I CE

If OP is in the usa then this is fake. It's not how US immigration works.

onceuponatime456 16

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway