By oops - 29/07/2015 06:15 - United States

Spicy
Today, thinking no one was home, I decided to be a little frisky with my boyfriend. I guess I was being loud and woke up my sleeping autistic brother the room over. Halfway through, he burst through the door, panicking. He thought I was having another one of my asthma attacks. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 958
You deserved it 9 767

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sucks to be you OP, but seriously, be more careful and check next time.

Comments

I don't think the fact he has autism is relevant here.

yes it is. They wouldn't recognise what's going on, depending on his age it's not a social situation he will have faced yet

1jordan1 11

#12 yes but that could have happened whether he was autistic or not. hearing her breathing heavily and knowing she has asthma? anyone could have come rushing in. the autism is irrelevant.

A person without autism would be more likely to realize what was going on. Autistic people have trouble understanding social situations.

People who have autism are more susceptible to anxiety attacks. And many don't process information the same way that the rest the word does. Not to say they are dumb, or anything like that but there outlook on life both day-to-day and long term is vastly different. And once they find someone that they care about, they will protect this person anyway they can.

it depends on how bad it is and what his age is. I'm more high-functuoning with my autism and I'm about 20 years old so I've learned to sort of pick up on different situations where normally autistic people wouldn't. but he's probably different

I really don't see what his autism has to do with it. Perhaps he is more likely to tell their parents?

it's relevant because otherwise everyone would be posting about how he should have known what was going on. now instead you have people saying how it's relevant

totally is because if he wasnt he would have knocked and asked if she was ok instead of busying in freaking the **** out as well as knowing the difference in sound of sensual moaning and an asma attack

dakid87 10

Suck to be you, but why must you mention his autistic. His autism had nothing to do with the situation.

I was just going go say that! any other Brother probably wouldve done the same

The FML is that the brother didnt know what they were doing

People who have autism are more susceptible to anxiety attacks. And many don't process information the same way that the rest the word does. Not to say they are dumb, or anything like that but there outlook on life both day-to-day and long term is vastly different. And once they find someone that they care about, they will protect this person anyway they can.

It might have affected his ability to read the situation the way a 'normal' person would have and place what he heard in context thereby causing him to react differently than other people would. From that pov his autism is relevant to the story.

thaqueen_fml 15

Never have sex in your parents house!!! YDI!

see originally me and my boyfriend thought that... honestly we would have missed out on like 4 years of sex life if we kept that up

mds9986 24

Is there really anything that stating he's autistic adds to the FML? I feel like labeling people based on their mental disabilities is pretty stupid to be honest.

Well #21... I hate to tell you... but I hear your shitters clogged

mds9986 24

Why was I even downvoted for that? Do people really think that's ok?

TheNiceOne 20

It was relevant because op's brother probably didn't know what was actually going on. He might not yet know about that kind of intimacy yet thus why he thought she was having an asthma attack.

mds9986 24

Autism has nothing to do with that. A person without autism can make the same mistake.

People who have autism are more susceptible to anxiety attacks. And many don't process information the same way that the rest the word does. Not to say they are dumb, or anything like that but there outlook on life both day-to-day and long term is vastly different. And once they find someone that they care about, they will protect this person anyway they can.

mds9986 24

I know what autism is. You still don't need to have it to care about your sibling enough to think a sound could sound like an asthma attack if your sibling is prone to them and burst in the room.

Here we are again. You just like starting shit don't you? That may be why your shitter is clogged.

mds9986 24

I'm not starting anything, people respond and I respond back. If you want to take it that way, go ahead. You seem more interested in starting shit than I am.

Labeling someone based on their disabilities is bad? Well i'll be damned, here I was thinking the reason doctors put names to disabilities was to help people...

I agree with you; both my brother and I are autistic (however mine is very mild) and I hate the fact that people feel the need to label everything. Yes, autism affects your perception of particular situations, however anyone can still make the same mistake. If the FML does have anything to do with the fact that he's autistic, it's only a very small amount. He was only trying to care for his sister. (And half the time, doctors barely do anything after diagnosis of mental illness. It literally just adds another label.)

Really? Because I got mediation and therapy after being "labeled" depressed. A lot of mental disorders need to be identified to use different techniques and medication. And I've seen a lot of people you complain that are "labeled" find friends and are comforted by finding people "labeled" the same.

mds9986 24

77- "labeling" and "diagnosing" are two totally different things. "Saying the depressed person went out for a car ride", is totally unnecessary. It adds nothing to the sentence. Just like in the FML. How would you like it if, every single time somebody mentioned you ever, they mentioned you were depressed? That's labeling. The OP's FML would have been fine without having to use the word autistic.

Saying someone is autistic is different though. By including it in a sentence it can inform others that , depending on the severity, they may have special needs above the usual care. Some "labels" as you call them do serve a purpose. They make others aware of the condition without you having to explain after an awkward situation has occurred.

There's this great invention called a door lock. Look it up.

Nothing about his autism affects this situation. What was the point in mentioning it?

llamingo 8

Maybe the point is that the brother didn't realize what they were doing

But any neurotypical could make that mistake. It has nothing to do with his autism.

Clothes have labels. People don't. --Martina Navratilova