By James - 08/02/2016 22:55 - United Kingdom - Sheffield

Today, the power in my village went out. This caused the back-up battery powered alarm to go off. Nobody in the house even knew our alarm worked, let alone how to make it stop. It's been going off for over an hour now. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 374
You deserved it 1 777

Same thing different taste

Comments

ughh I hate it when the alarm bell rings and everybody waits for others to switch it off and eventually nobody does and you have to wake up and do it >_

You said it yourself: "Back up BATTERY POWERED alarm." BATTERY POWERED. BATTERY. *cues Metallica's "Battery"*

Reminds me of that episode of Friends where Phoebe can't get her alarm to turn off ? Hope it stops soon! Those things are just too loud.

I've heard that in this situation, the alarm only goes off if the battery is either low or empty, or there is a problem with it. You might want to change it to stop this happening again.

joeyl2008 29

Also depending on how frequent the alarm is it could just be to let them know it's running on battery power. Most of the battery back ups I've worked with will beep about once a minute to make sure you know it's running on battery power and then beep more frequently when it's low power. Usually there is a button you can press to make it shut up.

To carry on from an earlier post: Circle of destruction, hammer comes crushing Powerhouse of energy Whipping up a fury, dominating flurry We create the battery Smashing through the boundaries Lunacy has found me Cannot stop the battery Pounding out aggression Turns into obsession Cannot kill the battery!

Why do you guys have an alarm you don't know how to turn off?

OP said that they didn't know it even worked. Logically, you wouldn't need to know how to use something if you think it doesn't work.

Well, your only option now is to move.

MonstreBelle 28

I feel your pain, OP. I had a family friend that came to finish remodeling the basement of my house. One day the annoying, incessant beeping sound of a smoke or carbon monoxide detector with dying batteries started. It wasn't the carbon monoxide detector, so I got out a step ladder to take the smoke detector down. It wasn't on the ceiling. Part of the remodeling included lowering the ceiling, so I figured he just hadn't put it back up. I spent about 10 minutes looking for it before I realized that, despite having spent years working in the construction industry, the nincompoop had somehow managed to lower the ceiling over the smoke detector. It was quite impressive, really. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to reach that level of stupidity. Since it's only battery powered, there wasn't really anything I could do except wait for the batteries to die completely. Although, during the first week, I seriously considered using my stethoscope to pin point the location of it and shooting it. It's still going 2 years later (I wish I was kidding or exaggerating, but I'm serious) Thank you, Energizer, for such a high quality product. Not only have you kept my family safe, you have gone above and beyond and turned my basement into Guantanamo Bay! So, don't worry, OP. You'll get used to the sound. Eventually...

Why didn't you just put a hole in the wall, get the detector out, and then re-plaster/drywall it back after?

MonstreBelle 28

I hired a contractor to come take a look and see if anything could be done. He approximated where the smoke detector is by listening to the beeping and taking some measurements. One of the beams from the wood frame wood is underneath it. It wasn't lowered very much, so there isn't enough space to make a hole next to the beam and slide it over and out. The only way to get to it is by cutting through the beam and that would mean having to have the entire ceiling redone

MonstreBelle 28

"wood frame wood" Good Lord. I'm going to take that as a sign that I either need to end my Netflix and Internet binging and go to sleep or that I need caffeine. Being the responsible adult that I am, I'm going to go with caffeine