By Anonymous - 03/02/2013 02:47 - United States - New Haven

Today, the new manager at my workplace left early in a panic, exclaiming, "My grandma had an accident! I need to see if she's okay!" I was left in charge of the bar once again. This is the sixth time this week his grandma has had an "accident". FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 181
You deserved it 2 661

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Shot shot shot shot shot shot eeeeeerrrr'bodddyyyy !!!!!! Time for free shots and tell the manager you had an accident.

KM96 24

Either she's a little clumsy, or he is a bad manager, who probably thinks he's too good for the job. What ever way, he is a jerk - or a caring guy who loves his grandma :S

Comments

JJ_Rokk 10

Well you know what kind of quality people those bar managers are.

I knew a bar manager who was a preacher, wasn't a bad guy at all! In fact, when they ran out of a certain spirit, he'd supply more as long as there was some water handy.

My bar manager isn't a bad guy at all. He's a great manager and treats his employees with respect. The only time he had to leave early and leave me in charge was when his wife got into a car accident.

A bar is just another business just like any other legal business. The servers are not the ones drinking and just because they serve alcohol doesn't mean they are alcoholics or anything. It's a job that needs doing and you can't be drunk while managing a bar, or you will get fired. I don't drink at all, but that doesn't mean I am better than those who do, or those who serve the people who drink. Stop all the prejudice of everything!

Yeah... His name was Jesus H. Christ.

FFML_314 11

Maybe next week your grandma will have an "accident".

When the dipshit is away, the servers will play...

tj5810 21

He may be the only person his grandma has left to take care of her, so try and cut him a little bit of slack. If the problem persists, bring it to the attention of his boss. Now might not be the right time for him to be in a managerial position but remember, everyone has a life outside of work and not everyone has the same obligations.

you still don't get to leave early six times in one week regardless of what the issue is. that's just stupid and if she needs to be taken care of so much that he can't be at a full day of work then its time for grandma to be taken care of by someone else. maybe someone whose job is to take care of old people who can't take care of themselves. like at a nursing home.

oj101 33

Hey. You can put "covered and took managerial role frequently" on your résumé for when you change jobs :)

Perhaps he lives with her, and she's called him after crying for four hours crazily thinking he's left home when he's certainly old enough to do so. You never know, some parents/grandparents are that crazy.

I'm a manager. If I did that I'd loose respect Fo sho.

sexyboi1985 27

Time for you to have some accidents behind his back !

Tell him his Grandma should be in a home if she is having so many accident's...harsh but fair

hellobobismyname 24

My mom was sick my whole life and got a stroke a few years ago and lost her ability to speak or move half her body. And I can tell you if I could afford it I would rather have her home with me than at a nursing home like she is now. Even if I had to take care of her and it took away time from other things. The sick and elderly want to be with their family, at a home, not in a facility. Sorry maybe I'm being over sensitive but you don't just dump people into homes because they're burdening you.

#35- Completely understand what you're saying, but sometimes it becomes cruel and unsafe for you to have elderly family members on their own. Maybe it's time the manager invested in a nurse for supervision while he's at work.

#30 & 35 -- He might have a nurse or other person there with her (though that's pretty pricy and not always covered by insurance), or she may even be in a nursing home. Even in a safe, supervised situation sometimes things happen. My grandmother, who had 24-hour on-site home care after a stroke, had hallucinations for a while, and sometimes talking with a specific family member was the only thing that would stop her from trying to throw things at nonexistent intruders.

hellobobismyname 24

#40, valid point, that's why I said if I could afford it, because there's nurses and equipment to think about. Not everyone can afford home care but people shouldn't just be dumped in nursing homes just because their family members find them to be a burden. I visit my mom whenever I can and she is literally one of the few people who gets visitors regularly. I've seen some of the patients there who are so lonely and their family just dumped them there and only visit on special occasions. It looks so sad they have to spend the last of their life alone feeling abandoned. But yes, if someone can't afford home care at least visit them and don't neglect them when they need you..