By Anonymous - 13/07/2017 21:30

Today, the manager that hired me and worked for years to inspire and connect her staff was laid to rest. Hours before the funeral, her replacement told me he wanted my 2 weeks notice on his desk tonight. I've been a model employee, he just doesn't like me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 564
You deserved it 277

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kadena288 2

What a shame it is illegal (I would hope) to try and force someone out of a job!!

Sucks for your new manager that you're not going down like that.

Comments

Zachary8261 28

That's straight up wrong. If you get fired for this, it could be a lawsuit to wrongful termination.

I hope you can take this to HR, but I'm so sorry about your boss.

donovan100 3

from now on make sure u record any conversation between u and him, make sure u get clear recorded audio of what he says, so u can set him up with this, if u luv d job u can keep it, its in ur hands

MG62 6

The recording, unless you say you are recording the conversation could be illegal. On the other hand no one can make you resign. This is done to scare someone and get around unemployment payments so unemployment insurance rates do not go up. In a work at will state they can fire you for no reason but unemployment is payable. If you are fired for being sick or pregnant or age or marital status etc. than it's wrongful termination and you can sue, (and still collect unemployment).

That blows! If you resign, you are out of a job until you can find one. If you refuse to resign, your new boss will eventually find a way or reason to fire you. It's lose-lose. Ask your new manager if you can stretch the timeline out long enough to find a new job - They might be willing to agree on that with you agreeing to quit in some agreed time range. Having said that - Your new boss is a monster. There is no way to work for a monster, they will make you miserable. My assumption is they feel threatened by your good reputation and respect from your co-workers. Perhaps unknown to you, you might have been considered as a replacement for your new-deceased boss, but this person got the job.

If the manager doesn’t like OP then they won’t care if OP is jobless. They just want OP gone.

azouwa 26

Go to the person that hired your new boss. Explain the situation. I can guarantee they care enough about their company to keep you.

I can guarantee that person is now 6 feet under. These positions are usually already filled with a second in command to take their place incase something like this occured. Also for others, Hr is there to protect the company, not you!

OP said it was his manager that died. A manager isn't the boss. There's always someone above them. Like at McDonalds. There may be a manager for the store, but there's still people above him/her.

melana09 19

Your manager can't make you quit your job. Tell him you refuse. I'd be on your toes though because he's going to look for any reason to fire you.

You don't have to give it to him. If he fires you, collect unemployment from his ass.

onceuponatime456 16

Ask for his comment in writing!

Don't go down without a fight, make them fire you so you can collect unemployment, **** that guy over until he gives up.

Currently going through the same thing (except without the death of my previous manager, she just left after several years because the company treated her poorly.) I had had two managers before her, all of which also recognized my hard work, and I was promoted to an assistant manager after 2 years (with a current total of 5 years working there.) The new manager we got last year hates me, plays favorites, is super negative all of the time, and gave me a poor review which means I can't get a raise this year..So I'm quitting. I just found out I got another job paying me nearly $8 more an hour to start. As much as it sucks, continuing to work under someone who very obviously doesn't like you would suck even more. I wish you luck in finding a new job soon.