By Anonymous - 07/10/2015 16:46 - United States

Today, the AC broke in the kitchen of the restaurant I work at. Temperatures reached over 100 degrees and one of my coworkers nearly passed out. Our boss accused us of being "dramatic" and only let us step out after I collapsed. I need this job too badly to quit. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 032
You deserved it 1 716

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Hope it's fixed soon :( regulated kitchens are bad enough! But even if it is fixed soon you should still look for another job because your employer just showed that he doesn't respect you guys or think of your well being

Assuming it's a chain restaurant, file a complaint to someone higher up than your boss. Whether it be about your boss' behavior or just asking for the AC to be fixed, no one should have to work under those conditions. Best of luck OP.

Comments

100 degrees in your temp scale is 38 in mine. Or as it is know in Australia, a beautiful summer day. Drink more water next time.

yeah, on an average summer day its like 46 here, working in a 38 degree kitchen all day could still make you pass out. Quit trying to sound tough or special.

ThePandoricaOpen 18

This is RESTAURANT. do you really think the staff is going to have enough time to stop and take water breaks? AND, believe it or not, temperatures that HIGH are not only dangerous to the staff, but TO THE FOOD. If a health inspector came in during that ordeal, I can just about GUARANTEE that the restaurant would have failed, and been forced to close until thwy remedied the problem. So quite acting like just drinking more water will fix the problem.

We had 37 C at our old ward (I'm a nurse) and we could hardly work at all. Wearing scrubs and running around in that temperature is torture

#11, A restaurant especially a busy one won't let their staff to take a water break. I have a feeling you have never worked in a kitchen on a hot day in front of a stove or near a convection oven. I have, and it sucks.

PrimeUnit000 11

It's an average of 110° at least where I live in the summer.

And are you rushing around in stagnant air outside all day? It's a restaurant's kitchen, a busy environment with no breeze jfc

PrimeUnit000 11

There usually isn't a breeze. You just have to be smart and drink lots of water. I will say it's no fun in 100° weather, but people need to understand there is much worse than a few days of only 100°.

It can always be worse and people have different temperatures they can stand. My mothers boyfriend is comfortable in 50-60 degrees and more than that he's hot. At 80+ degrees I start feeling very sick and dizzy. If people are passing out or fainting, there's OBVIOUSLY an issue.

Are you rushing around, dressed in long pants + sleeves, probably wearing a hat, and bent over a fire the whole time? It regularly busts 100F where I live too. Showing your ass on how little you know about work, in this case restaurant work, does not make you special.

Toughen up princess, drink more water and keep working.

I know how that is...I just wear a tank to work due to it being too hot...

When that happens I take periodic breaks, inside the cooler.

Depending on your company I would recommend an anonymous complaint to corporate.

I live in PHX, seventh level of hell, AZ. and, I used to work on the line next to a pizza oven and in front of the grill and salamander. It would frequently reach over 120°F. get over it bro. take off your panties if it's too hot for you or drink some cold water.

tarlax 11

Lol, internet tough guys are hilarious.

Is taking your panties off how you help things? Because it sounds like advice from experience.

What an inconsiderate boss!! Indoor heat feels hotter than outdoor heat because there's no fresh air. So it probably felt hotter than 100! :S

if you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen. da dum tss. ...sorry im bad at being witty.

That's one reason I got out of the food industry. I would definitely say to drink more water. Also what I used to do, stand in the walk in fridge for a couple minutes or something to cool down. But yeah, talk to your boss about it.

kitchens are hot. ours used to peak at 110 in the summer. hang in there op and stay hydrated.