By Anonymous - 11/01/2013 19:47 - United States - Simi Valley

Today, one of my paintings was accepted into a local art gallery. It would've been a dream come true, had my "best friend" not submitted it under her own name and taken all the credit. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 350
You deserved it 3 025

Same thing different taste

Top comments

peasonearth 8

You've got a shitty best friend there. Did you not sign your painting?

This is a case where you can sue.. She already showed she is a bitch and not a real friend..

Comments

**** your friend, why didnt you sign your own name on the picture ?

And why didn't OP just submit her own painting?...

As an artist, I choked upon reading this... Just... How does someone live with themselves, knowing they pulled a stunt like this? I really hope something was properly done about this, darling. And that this so called 'best friend' was kicked to the curb for good in your life afterwards.

egc573 40

I'm not an artist nor am I remotely familiar with the art world, but in addition to being a cruel move, isn't this also kind of a stupid and risky one? I mean, the friend was an idiot if she thought the OP wouldn't notice one of her works was missing, especially if it was up on display at a local ART GALLERY. OP can probably prove easily enough that it was her own work. After that, the friend would be completely discredited. I imagine that other artists and galleries wouldn't want to associate with a plagiarist, so there goes whatever career the friend was trying to build (this sort of thing does get spread around, doesn't it?). And of course, she just lost a friendship. I mean, really, how did she think this would succeed? Like I said, I know nothing about the art world, but to me this seems like a really, really stupid thing to do, assuming the friend was trying to pass herself off as an artist. And even if it was just a simple prank, she's still going to be in trouble. She is certainly a huge bitch, but I think she may be an even bigger idiot. (Then again, I might be thinking about this too much.)

Hey, you just offended female dogs all over the world right there

I want to punch her in the face for you. That makes me so mad. I hope for your sake you signed it so you can prove it's yours OP.

Shadow_Phantom 26

Wow, what a horrible "friend." I hope you have photos or WIP/sketches of the painting while it was being painted... FYL

that's just messed up. some friend you have there op

graphicstyle7 17

You need to say something. Now. Speaking as a fellow artist, that's just the lowest thing she could possibly do. SPEAK UP. You must have other work around to show them to prove this? Go tell someone.

perdix 29

How can it not be obvious that it's yours? Do you have one of those Jack Lew signatures?

qirde_15 5

maybe at first ur friend was superbly attracted to ur painting. but then he thought what a great idea to just steal it. u wont be angry anyway cos he's ur 'bestfriend'. - proof that not all assumptions are true

I'm pretty sure there was an FML just like this in the past. Except it was a photography contest I believe.