By mousiepie - 02/05/2014 09:36 - United States - San Francisco

Today, my wrists were hurting really bad while working the production line. I was told to let my supervisor know so he can help accommodate it. Both supervisors responded by ending my employment there to make sure I don't suffer long term damage. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 350
You deserved it 4 528

mousiepie tells us more.

well, it was a contracting job. I've had weak wrists all my life but I normally just wear wrist braces and I do just fine. I hadn't wanted to say anything but also having still been new, I figured the bulk of the pain was from the repetitive motions from a 12 hour shift and that once I had been there a while, most of the pain would disappear. When my coworkers noticed the pain from my hands not working properly they suggested the nurse and I asked if she can provide a wrist wrap. They then said I needed to talk to my supervisor before the nurse and being a medical facility, they stated that they can't say they care about saving lives and the safety of the employees if they allow me to get hurt. They then directed me to my contracting supervisor who stated they will find a clerical type job for me. I just felt lame for the fact that for once I was told I couldn't perform a job because I might injure myself. :/ I appreciate the support and kindness though. Thank you.

Top comments

Aww, sucks to hear, but if it was "at will" employment there isn't much you can do about it.

Comments

marieluhh24 8

That really sucks. Honestly though, I don't think they can let you go for that reason!

Metarko32 2

That's illegal, they have to accommodate you if you're having problems. If they can't show any other reason that they fired you than your hurt wrists then the company will get fined, you will get your job back, and the managers will be fired.

Actually in some states they don't have to have a reason to fire you. Like in North Carolina for example.

Whenever if that is true #45, I dunno, but it seems a little crazy to me. "You have red hair, you're fired"

NiceGuysDoWin 21

That's what "At will employment" means. A company does not need to give any reason at all to fire their employees. Simply, "Your services are no longer required. There is the door". The problem for the employer arises when they actually DO give a reason. Once they say why they are firing the employee, then there are all kinds of regulations protecting employees from wrongful termination. Because the employer specifically mentioned the employee's work injury, there is a likely chance that there are grounds for a wrongful termination suit in this case. It all depends on the laws in OP's specific State.

Sorry to hear that OP, good luck finding a new job!

They are looking out for the company and trying avoiding a workers comp claim. Good luck on the job search.

Agree with #14. They just fired you to avoid any hassle, looking out for the company.

Pretty certain that's against labour laws, and that they're required to modify your duties to suit injuries sustained at work. Or at least that's how it would be in Canada. Then they'd find another way to get rid of you that has nothing to do with your physical limitations.

complaining gets u no where in life man up

ninety 25

Neither does shutting up and sucking up the pain and possibly disabling yourself for life.

sounds like they really care about your well being.

while California is an 'at-will' state, they still need to provide reasonable accommodations within their financial budget. speak to an employment lawyer about your options.

It's illegal for them to fire you over an injury. I would find a lawyer ASAP and get a lawsuit going. good luck OP and hope your wrist feels better!