By pissedandpoor - 15/04/2016 17:50 - United States - Meadville

Today, my wallet got stolen. I had a bunch of cash, my SS card and my license in it. Now I have to replace everything, only to have to renew my license again when I turn 21 in June. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 991
You deserved it 2 960

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Who carries their social security card in their wallet? That's just dumb man

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

@Paws_Cat #1 was asking why OP was carrying their SS card, not what it was

Damn that sucks OP.:/ I'm sorry. But my brother is also in June. It'll be okay in the long run though.

CrassKal 27

Do you HAVE to get your license renewed when you turn 21 in Pennsylvania? In Texas I mine doesn't expire for another 3 years, and having a vertical card doesn't prevent me from doing any age restricted things.

As a swiss I am glad he explained what it stood for though. Whenever I see "SS" I think about the second world war (because of the "SchutzStaffel"). So I'm actually glad to figure out what americans mean when they say "SS"

#1 I know right? You can't exactly replace an SS card like you would a credit card. OP might have identity theft coming real soon..

TXlove 6

Unless you leave the state. Dispensaries in CO cannot accept horizontal IDs, some bars won't either . It's better to just change it.

@66 I figured they meant that their license expires on their 21st birthday.

You have 60 or 90 days after you turn 21 to renew your license in most states...

^proof nazi jokes actually can be funny

CheekyRaccoon 27

You're reich #41 Nazi jokes can be funny.

Hey, if you don't absolutely need to drive then don't renew it until then, just use public transport. Most cities have month-long charges. Also this is based on the assumption that you don't drive every day so if that's the case then disregard my comment. FYL

Just don't get pulled over until June lol.

Steve97 32

Yeah I wouldn't carry your ss card in your wallet just incase it ever goes missing. Best to leave it at home where it's safe and only take it when you need it.

kingdomgirl94 29

Yeah, I keep my SIN card in a fireproof safe with my birth certificate and vaccination records.

Ditto. All my originals are in a safety deposit box along with my retirement plan. A sealed box of Magic cards from the 90's. :D

I don't know OP's circumstances but I'm in the military and have to carry it everywhere so my wallet is the easiest way to carry it

29 i dont know what type of military you are in, but my husband never uses his. Also it literately says right on the card "do not keep in wallet".

icekingz 7

You don't need to renew your license just because you turn 21

goream2013 6

yes you do, you need a new photo, eye test, and some money. they also change it from portrait style to landscape style.

ShannonBitt 29

It depends on the state. In PA, it stays portrait until you're due for your next four-year renewal after you turn 21. Turning 21 doesn't require anything extra like an eye test or another fee here.

in jersey it expires the year after you turn 21 whether it's been 4 years or not. and most bars won't serve you if it still has the red bar around your picture that says "under 21 till..."

I think they automatically mail you a new license when you turn 21, you don't have to do anything.

goream2013 6

not in the US. You have to take another picture, take an eye test and pay like $70 or so. when you turn 21. after that then you have to do that same thing like every 5 years.

Lol wow 70 bucks? Ive always paid 10-15.

I just did it myself and it was $50 for me. Probably varies depending on the state.

mariri9206 32

I live in IL and I didn't have to take an eye test or anything like that. I just had to show my old license, pay a small fee, and get my picture taken. It didn't require much at all, actually, that I was able to go to an Express DMV.

Yeah I live in New York and turned 21 2 years ago. I got it in the mail. Didn't have to call, go to my dmv, fill out paperwork...

ChristianH39 30

Here in NY they just mailed me a new I.d. when I turned 21, but I did have to renew at 22 because it was five years after my original was issued.

Suaria 38

In California, you just pay $33 and sign a small piece of paper.

I'm in North Carolina here and my vertical license doesn't expire until 2020. I would like a new one though... I look nothing like I did when I was 18.

Ydi if u keep ssc in wallet; way too risky to carry it around; irreversible damage when your identity gets stolen; u can always make more money or put a stop or dispute stolen credit cards; u can get another license; but your ssn with dob on your license equals identity theft in which the law can do little to help u; youre so young and this will follow u around for the rest of your life; i hope the best 4u

It's not irreversible. It's a hell of a fight but identity theft can be fixed. It starts with keeping an eye on your credit report so you can report suspicious activity fast.

Oh don't carry your SS card with your ID. If somebody has those two, it's very easy to steal your identity. Still that sucks -- if you don't need your license you could possibly get away with using some other form of ID (passport, school ID) until June

Who carries their social security card in their wallet? That's just dumb man

And you've yet to have your identity stolen? Well, you're either very very lucky or your identity isn't worth being stolen…

#89 and if that wallet were stolen, someone could easily access your resources. A fake ID, a forged signature, and the last four digits of your social security card could give someone access to your bank accounts, loans from banks against your credit, and new credit cards in your name. So I would advise stopping that practice.