By dino0123 - 12/12/2012 17:51 - United States - Herndon

Today, my very cheap boyfriend of four years proposed. I was overwhelmed with emotion, since he bought such a huge, seemingly-diamond ring. I was later overwhelmed with emotion when my finger turned green. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 445
You deserved it 4 498

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kleider1 9

he might have actually saved up for it and gotten ripped off.

cablemirc 2

your cheap boyfriend is just that, cheap. and you know it, so take it or leave it, he is who he is. did you really expect extravagance?

Comments

RedPillSucks 31

I thought women were interested in how much green a guy has. No? *slowly puts back the 20 karat Cubic Zirconia*

To be fair, green is a Christmas color, he just wants you to be excited about the proposal and get in the Christmas spirit.

unknown_user5566 26

If the ring thing bothers you that much, then discuss it with him. Now that you said "yes" to being his partner in life, you two should be able to come up with a plan that makes you both happy.

I agree. Should be able to discuss this at least or why are you planning on getting married? Maybe it's a joke but he is watching your reaction very closely. I personally wouldn't be getting married to someone I call cheap on FML. Aren't you supposed to marry the man of your dreams?

RedPillSucks 31

If you want real diamonds, then go find you a good old sugar daddy. Don't be so materialistic, you obviously couldn't tell the diamonds were fake, so you just need to find a metal that you're not allergic to. He shouldn't have to go broke just to be with you. If having a real $2,000 ring is that important to you, don't date someone like that. Regardless, good luck on your engagement, I hope it all works out. :)

It's not an allergic reaction, skin turning green or any other color is what happens when you wear copper jewelry or many other cheap metal jewelry with plating- when the plating starts to wear off where that metal makes contact with the skin- there is a discoloration.

Well it's the same concept, I'm sure you can find a decently priced ring that won't hurt the girl for less than the price of solid gold with 20 karat diamonds. The price tag isn't really the issue here so much as the judgmentalness of the Op. He didn't know the ring was going to do that, so she shouldn't be mad at him for it.

He shouldn't have to go broke, but that doesn't mean he has to lie to her face about it. They're not even married, and he's already taking her for a fool. People can wag their fingers about materialism as much as they want, but there is no excuse for him wanting to start their life together on a lie.

Wanting a real ring for your marriage doesn't make you some gold digging materialistic crazy. Nobody said she expected to have a huge rock sitting on her hand. It is a bit disheartening that he wouldn't put out a bit more money to get her something that would last. I mean she is going to be your wife forever. If you disagree then you shouldn't marry them.

tmmundy 17

#16...are you really that stupid? Come on now, please tell me you're joking?

Maybe he got the ring for a good deal...but the ring size was too small. cheap guy. dump him op.

unknown_user5566 26

The size of the ring doesn't turn your finger green, the material it's made from does.

Wow, it actually took an entire 18 comments for some dumbass to make a 'dump him' comment. Way to go, champ.

RedPillSucks 31

Well, if it was too tight on her finger... But that would be a whole different FML.

If you know he's cheap then what can you do? I don't know about you, OP, but I would rather nothing than him wasting, albeit a little, of his money on something I can't wear. Tell him sincerity is what counts, there's no need for a ton of flash if he loves you (granted, if you really want a lot of flash and he really wants to keep his cash then maybe you should rethink marriage because monetary problems are one of the top reasons for divorce)

I think that trust/honesty is probably more of an important concern than money here. And if OP's fiancée presented the ring as anything other than the poor-quality item that it turned out to be she has a right to be upset or mad. I would be too.

Correct, honesty is key, which is why I'm suggesting being sincere. I bring up the money issue because if she is calling him cheap, then they need to come to an understanding on how to spend. You wouldn't want your husband calling your spending frivolous nor do you want to suffer from a life you feel is below your standards due to his penny pinching.

I agree 100% with you. Take it from someone who's been happily married for 22 years. You need to be equal partners in everything.

afallingstar 22

At least you have a man willing to commit op...it's not the ring but the thought behind it that should count...maybe he's saving up to get you a real nice one

I feel sorry for you, OP. No matter how cheap someone is, a proposal/marriage should be more special than what you got. Not saying that he needs to spend hundreds of dollars on it, I bet you two could pick a beautiful ring for less than hundred dollar. If he doesn't want to pay that for a once in a lifetime occassion, you should wonder if that new Scrooge is the right guy for you.

RedPillSucks 31

Well, we don't know what the proposal was like, since OP chose to focus on her cheap ass ring... (oops, did I say that out loud). The proposal could have been quite romantic. As an honest question (not baiting, or anything) how would you feel if you had the most romantic proposal you could imagine, but later (after you said yes, of course), you found the ring was not up to your standards?

Being easily dissapointed is one of my characteristics I'm not so proud of. So yes, I would be dissapointed. But, I've told my partner already that I just want one ring for both proposal and marriage, and that I want to pick it out myself. Just to avoid these situations.

I find it (and you) a bit pathetic that a large ring makes you overcome with emotion. It should be the proposal (and the one proposing), not the token, that excites you. You knew he was cheap, so you should have known what was coming.

afallingstar 22

I personally would take a cheap ring if it meant he was willing to commit

I find it a bit pathetic that so many people on this FML are on the side of a man who wants to marry a girl, but is too either too cheap to buy her a decent ring, or is too much of a douche to be honest about the fact that he can't afford one. If a guy proposed to me with something that cost less then 30 dollars but was honest about the fact that he couldn't afford anything fancy, I wouldn't give a shit. If he got me something cheap but tried to lie about it, then I would be upset. Honesty and trust are far more important then expensive diamonds, neither of which the OP got from the man who wants to be her husband.

She was overwhelmed because she thought the guy spent alot of money on the ring. Dating someone who is cheap like that, it means so much more when they buy something expensive. Do you honestly think she cared about the size? "today my boyfriend proposed with a tiny ring that was real. Wahh."

It doesn't say anywhere that he lied to her, fake rings are usually fairly obvious and if not then its probably a decent looking ring, which isn't a bad thing. Is he supposed to ruin a romantic proposal by telling the OP how fake it is before he gives it to her? "Oh honey, I got you the fakest ring I could afford because I'm so poor; now, will you marry me?"

If you give someone a fake knockoff and lead them to believe it's real, then that's lying to them. Not something you want to start a marriage on.

philly2 4