By OptMouse - 14/04/2015 11:50 - Denmark - Lyngby

Today, my supervisor forced me to bring the image of a failed simulation to the group meeting, because he thought it looked funny. So did the others and it's now going on our webpage. I have to provide a scientific description of how I made a mistake in my code. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 738
You deserved it 2 795

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That is shitty that your supervisor did that to you, making such a joke out of it and decided to blow it up to such a stupid, jackass thing to do to someone. But everyone makes mistakes. You shouldn't take it too hard. Just make corrections and learn from the mistake you made. It's really ******* hard to do but you just have to hold your head up and in a few days time, they'll be talking about someone else's screw up.

At least you're being recognized. Hang in OP.

Comments

That's how the scientific field works, OP. You have to be okay with your failures being seen.

If the OP is danish, they are probaly too. We danes are mean :(

At least you work with people who have a sense of humor. Just roll with it and prepare a successful simulation (hopefully) on the next pass. I'm sure we'd all love to see it if you want to provide the website!

Ah OP that sucks But can we at least have the web page details, Thus Allowing your misfortune to brighten many people's days.

Approximately 90% of a programmer's work time is spent looking for errors in the code anyways. So, since obviously everyone in your company seems to think the outcome, though useless scientifically, is funny, just roll with it and write a cool explanation.

You must not be a programmer or know any good programmers if you think 90% of the time is bug hunting.

I know some very good programmers. They are so fast at whipping up the structure of a code that most time is spent optimizing, expanding the features and bug hunting. While I do know how to program I would not call myself a programmer since I don't do it for a living.

middlenamefrank 8

I do code for a living (partially, I'm also a hardware EE), and I've read that the average programmer produces six lines of fully-debugged code per day. This is a world where we buy phones for hundreds of dollars, which crash frequently because of bugs in their code. France lost an Ariane rocket once because of a simple wrap-around bug. A Mars probe was lost because someone forgot to convert English measurements into metric. Debugging is what we do, all day every day.

Some of the most amazing things come from mistakes... but It's not fun to be ridiculed for something everyone does (make mistakes) keep on going OP and maybe you'll be able to show your supivisor that he should have taken you seriously from the beggining

At least you're on the web page Still sucks though, sorry OP.

The wisest of them are made fun of but it's upto you if you wanna sulk or learn from mistakes and come up stronger!

Everyone messes up code man we're not robots but shouldn't be to hard to go in and fix it while still putting the funny one up. Supervised will see on the web page someone who learns from there mistakes, boom, promotion.