By fireenginemad - 10/02/2013 06:08 - United States - Vancouver

Today, my roommate found an eviction notice on our door for unpaid rent. Our apartment building caught fire and we haven't been living there for well over a month because it was legally unlivable. Today was our first day back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 317
You deserved it 2 172

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Pretty sure that's not going to hold up in any court in the universe.

That burns. Things could get pretty heated when you try and fight it, but maybe they'll fire the apartment manager and you can have your home back!

Comments

That burns. Things could get pretty heated when you try and fight it, but maybe they'll fire the apartment manager and you can have your home back!

My grandad used to say fight fire with fire, but then that's possibly why he was kicked out of the fire brigade.

Pretty sure that's not going to hold up in any court in the universe.

Yes.. He can. And he could win, the landlord/manager who have them the notice could be fired.

The owners of the apartment don't care. Unfortunately, many people only care about money these days. If you end up screwed, it sucks for you.

It's not a matter of the owners caring or not. That's one of the situations where an eviction wouldn't hold up in court. If the judge doesn't overturn something like this, I'd be amazed. Then again, there's no telling what kind of mood the judge will be in, either. But if OP digs enough, I'm sure they can find a solid legal precedent to fight it.

I'm not saying the owners don't care. But if OP and his roommate were good renters, then I'm sure the owner would be willing to work it out and not evict them.

You can't really assume that about OP and the roommate. There isn't enough information about the whole situation. From what the FML says, the only reason there's a notice is because of unpaid rent from the time the apartment was unlivable. There could have been similar evictions doled out to other tenants, as well, but the story doesn't say. We only have the information that was given, so until OP decides to comment and give more of the story, I would follow just what we've already been told.

It depends. If the OP is still on the lease, there's a possibility they would still have to pay rent regardless of whether the house itself has become unlivable. And sadly, some judges are asshole who still consider the renters responsible for paying rent until their lease ends and/or they break the lease. It's a loophole...though it really shouldn't be.

thatsucks4you 7

They can fight it. You don't want an eviction on your rental history. And technically if there is a fire or water damage in the building that makes it unlivable, then you shouldn't have to pay. It's in the land lord/tenant laws.

There is usually a clause in the lease that covers this very occasion, and it generally absolves the renter of any obligation to pay rent while the apartment is unlivable. It's there, if you take the time to look.

I don't know, I think the owner of the building should probably care a LITTLE that what he/she's done is absolutely illegal. But ya know. Money!

#4: The owners don't care. #10 I'm not saying the owners don't care... I'm confused

contact the city..most cities throw the book at landlords like this

That's stupidity at it's finest. Contact a lawyer and/or report him, it's not like he wouldn't know this is wrong. :p

Wouldn't the people evicting you gave common sense, and think that the room is unlivable?

Iknoweverything 29

If the world operated with common sense, there would be no need for an FML website.

I think that's the point of the FML. The landlord HAD to know the building was unlivable, but decided to try to evict them anyway.

Just talk to landowner and explain the situation. The person can't be that stupid.....oh never mind yes they can.

U_GotitDude 18

Take it I court and everything should get cleared up. But if not, FYL