By OutOfLuck - 17/09/2009 17:32 - United States

Today, my professor informed me that if I didn't "show more commitment" to my choral ensemble he would give my spot to a "more interested young woman." I missed class to see my neurologist. Apparently my seizures are a symptom of lack of commitment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 382
You deserved it 2 764

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't you just love professors and their assholery?

peaceloveswim94 0

wow. im sorry to hear about such a rude professor.

Comments

satanstoystore 0

your seizures are not his problem. sorry. you need to be bigger and give someone else a chance.

@15: Really? You are a douche. NEWS FLASH to everyone, epilepsy is not always a severe disorder. A person can have partial seizures, where they can be awake for part of the seizure, or simply "pass out" for a period of time. I was diagnosed with epilepsy at age 13. In 10 years (I am 23 now) I have only had 7 seizures, all of which were minor. Not all of us have the grand mal, shaking on the floor type. DON'T BE IGNORANT. I sang in a choir from age 5 until age 22, and never did my epilepsy affect a performance. OP, your director suffers from severe asshole syndrome. Do you go to college in Iowa by chance? My asshole choir prof just moved there, and I could certainly see him telling a student this. If he dares trying to kick you out, take it to the dean. No prof can hold a medical absence against you.

belfasterd 0

thank you!!! i hate how people are all like oh my god seizures but sometime epilepsy is very mild i have very mild epilepsy which just basically entails me blanking out while im talking for about ten secounds

what do you even mean by that? "Give someone else a chance"? Her physical disability should not make stupid choral directors discriminate her. Her ability to sing has NOTHING to do with her seizures.

jennifer5 6

Apparently you havent had a seizure because when you do have a seizure you clench your jaw shut thats why they say dont stick anything in our mouths cause it makes it worse. back to the point when ur jaw clenches shut sometimes more than 5 minutes the after affect is horrible. your JAW makes it hard to talk from all the clenching, let alone sing. So...your task clench your jaw as hard as you possibly can for 5 whole minutes no relaxing (if you can even do it) then if you can sing let me know. And i doubt you can clench as hard as we can when having a seizure because we are oblivious to pain during that time. Oh by the way, when i had mine i didnt wake up for 2 days from being so tired. Neurology appointments are very crucial!!!

cxal_fml 0

apparently jennifer has never had a seizure. First off, only SOME people clench their jaw shut - the vast majority never do, as the vast majority have Complex-partial seizures. Only people with generalized or secondary generalized seizures will clench their jaw, and then not all of them. Seizures have nothing to do with singing ability. When my seizures were active in high school, I was in chorus, marching band (tuba), advanced chemistry (meaning I got to work with chemicals that could be dangerous if combined wrong), and a private tutor for elementary students. Not once did my seizures interfere with that. Last year I was teaching elementary school, and yep I had seizures during the school day. No one would have ever known if I hadn't told them. The reason it wasn't noticable- i'm in the majority of people with epilepsy and have the common type of seizure Furthermore Jennifer, if you are seizing for 5 whole minute, you need EMERGENCY MEDICAL ATTENTION. Seizures lasting that long are a sign of status epileptus. Most seizures only last for a minute or less

wannabesinger 16

It was your responsibility to tell your professor that you'd be missing class, unless it was an emergency trip

just stare at him for a few minutes and the say in a creepy voice "i smell burnt toast"

Storm0305 2

Wasn't there one like this the other day about a guy in a band visiting his dying uncle???

The fact that you are taking it as "Seizures are a symptom of lack of committment" shows that you need to harden up in respect to the situation. Set the guy straight or stfu.

ladycoyote 0

Many, many college choral directors are like this. It's especially frustrating when they not only flip out because you missed class for a legitimate reason, but they also expect you to miss your other classes for "retreats" and "special rehearsals". They are self-centered assholes with entitlement complexes. Welcome to the music world. I didn't expect it to suck this much, either. :(

the_stereotype 0

i hate when they try and turn things that aren't your fault into your fault just because you missed it. i would be like, "well, i'm sorry, you can schedule my appointments to your convenience. If that's too much of a hassle for you, you're not committed enough to this, and I'm sure the school could easily find a replacement that was much more committed and much less anal." (I wouldn't really say that, but you get my point).

FYL for the situation, but at the same time, it's very selfish of you to do something, that you can't dedicate yourself to 100%. If you happen to have a seizure during an important time, it effects everyone, not just yourself. You fail to look at it like that though, and instead are focusing on it selfishly as being discriminated against because of your health.

cxal_fml 0

She never said she was having seizures - only that she was going to a neurologist. Strange as it may seem, epilepsy can be FULLY controlled in some people with medicine. You still need to go to a neurologist every 6 months though - you can't just say, "I'm not having seizures, no reason to see a neurologist," when you have a physical disability such as epilepsy.

Hey asshole. I have had epilepsy for 10 years and have only had 7 seizures. Never have I had one during a choir performance, and I've performed A LOT in my 23 years of life. So you're saying that I should have missed out on an important and central part of my life because there was a .002% chance I was going to have a seizure on stage (yes, I did the math). I'm pretty sure that you just don't understand what epilepsy entails. If I HAD seized during a performance, it wouldn't have been that big of a deal. Reasons: 1.) I have warning signs before I seize. I get what feels like an electrical shock in the back of my head. I would instantly sit down, which is what all choral performers do if they feel faint, and quietly seize in the middle of the choir. 2.) Everyone in the ensemble who stood around me knew about my condition and how to handle me if I did seize. 3.) If you missed this before, NOT ALL SEIZURES ARE GRAND MAL. I wouldn't have been violently jerking and twitching on stage. If all performers took your advice, we'd be missing out on the talents of Hugo Weaving, Neil Young, Richard Burton, George Frederick Handel, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (my favorite composer), and Robert Schumann. Good thing they weren't ignorant.