By jordan.marie97 - 09/08/2015 06:27 - Australia

Today, my parents told me they were getting divorced, at the beginning of a family road trip, adding that this'll be the last thing we ever do as a family. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 801
You deserved it 1 674

Same thing different taste

Top comments

olpally 32

Well that's just terrible.. Geeze! My heart breaks for you OP. Hope they don't put you in the middle and use you as an advantage in the divorce. Ugh. Stay strong op.

That sucks op hope this ends up being romantic and they fall in love again

Comments

tantanpanda 26

They're geniuses to announce that at the BEGINNING of the road trip.

What could possibly make someone - two someones - think that's a good time to tell you?

I'm so sorry op. I know what it feels like for your parents to get divorced and for them to drop that on you is a total ignorant move. I know it sucks but I guess just try to make the most out of that last moment because it's the only one you'll have before things end. Much love from here! x I hope they make that vacation for you as great as possible because you deserve it !

Think of it this way; a happy marriage never ends in divorce. Your parents will hopefully be happier. It's for the better.

That is really hard. My parents got divorced and I found out in a horrible way. If parents are getting divorced, the least they can do is make the process easy on the kids.

PePziNL 20
1dvs_bstd 41

Why are people bashing them for making the annoucement at the beginning of the trip? It would still ******* suck no matter when, where and how it is revealed.

Telling them before the trip and saying that it's the last thing they'll ever do as a family guarantees that OP is going to have a shitty vacation, in which case what's the point of going? Their timing is absolutely terrible.

1dvs_bstd 41

Well, hearing it on the way back or after isn't gonna make the vacation memorable for all the right reasons either.

If I had to choose, I would want to hear after vacation. I'd rather be blissfully ignorant and enjoy my vacation than to be thinking about the divorce the whole time.

Also the "this is the last thing we'll do as a family" thing was unnecessary. Sure it sucks either way but delivery and timing can soften the blow.

If they waited until the end, you would have been angry about your last "family vacation" being a lie. Just be grateful they wanted to take you out so the conversation wouldn't be too devastating. At least your parents don't hate each other, if they're able to stand being in the same car for some period of time. Maybe it'll be a nice, clean separation.

As heartbreaking as it is,it's a common occurrence,I know I sound like an asshole saying that but my parents divorced when I was young,it was messy and horrible but now that I'm older I understand it more and realise it was for the best,keep your chin up and don't let your parents make you take sides

Maybe at the end of the incredibly awkward trip you'll hear an "April Fools!"