By Anonymous - 03/10/2013 03:00 - United States - Decatur

Today, my parents favoritism towards my brother really shone through when we moved house and he got the nicest and by far biggest room. I wouldn't mind, but my brother is in college overseas and never comes home. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 406
You deserved it 2 686

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Stay there while he's gone? Maybe your parents can compromise

Comments

Tell them to buy him a nice new car so he has wheels when he visits. In the mean time you can maintain it by driving it around to keep the engine in shape. Win/win.

Did they give you the closet under the stairs?

Missyeru 14

This must be one of the most senseless situations I have seen. To be honest, OP, your parents are being ridiculously irrational with this, and reading the FML it is quite obvious why. I would recommend confronting them with the sentence "Why do you give the biggest room in the house to someone that isn't even here?" After this, it all depends on the answer. Good luck OP, and please reply to this FML, we always like to see a follow up to these stories.

You should just spontaneously move your shit into his room. Or move out if you're old enough.

nattynatters 14

Time for a strategic take over. Just slowly move in over time. Or quickly trade while the parents are out. I've always heard of younger siblings getting their pick of rooms when older sibling go to college.

That's if the parents are rational beings who treat the children equally. When my sister went to college, I moved into her room because it had the most space. My best friend however lived with parents who were favoritists. She was the favorite, and her younger sister was not. When my sister went away to college, they maintained her room, bought her a new car, and paid all her expenses. When her younger sister (who was 15) when she moved out approached them about getting a bigger room, she was told she would have to wait for my friend to graduate. The sister was given my friend's old car when she turned 16 and promptly informed they had spent her college fund on my friend, so she would have to either work or get a scholarship. The younger sister was able to get a free ride because she got all A's. But when my friend needed money for rent, she asked for her old car back to sell. It was given to her no questions asked. So people are not always fair. Especially since my friend got B's and C's in high school and the same in college, taking a good 5 years to graduate. Even then, her parents still pay for everything while her sister is now graduated and paying for her own things .

Ahhh, as in a lot of these cases, when you look at it from outside, it's easy to answer the question, "In the end, who is better off?"

perdix 29

Start peeing on the floor of your brother's room. Eventually, everyone will agree that you can have it. Learn from the dogs and the cats!

I like the way you think, although it dose have the drawback of making the room less desirable for OP as well...

perdix 29

#22, this is where "olfactory fatigue" becomes your friend. After long exposure to a foul smell, you stop noticing it. The OP can hang out in his little piece of urine-soaked heaven :D

jw90 18

It could be cuz he's the oldest or because they want him to feel welcome when he comes home. Either way parents should treat all their children equally, no matter how they act.

I followed you until "no matter how they act." If little Susy is getting good grades, does not smoke pot with her friends, comes home at reasonable times, has a job, does everything her parents ask of her (within reason) and is respectful, helpful, and kind, she should be rewarded. Is her sister Stacy gets shit grades, smokes pot, comes home drunk each night, does not have a job, tells her parents to **** off, and is rude, belligerent, and crass then she should not get the same respect and options as Susy.

llnursingll 10

ask your parents why, what makes your brother so special. or just sleep in there while he is gone. My sister is away at college and I sometimes sleep in her room because her room has better ventilation lol.

Talk to your parents. Write a list of why you would like it. Be calm (even though you may want to explode inside), if you don't like the answer reply calmly with something like "I'm sorry you feel that way" or "that makes me feel sad". Stay calm then they may think about it. The child that is away from the home is of often the one parents are desperate to please. Good luck.

Do you get on well with your brother? Maybe if he heard about this he would tell your parents how silly it is to give him the best room when he's not even there. They are being very immature... there shouldn't be such obvious favouritism in families. Have a chat to your parents about this...