By Can I press charges? - 15/01/2015 17:23 - Australia - Hamilton

Today, my nutjob girlfriend dumped me for refusing to stop talking to my best friend, just because she's a woman. Before she left, my now-ex decided to punish me by destroying the dissertation I've spent months working on, along with both backups of it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 586
You deserved it 4 663

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm sure you could find a way to sue her sorry ass. I'm sorry op but women like this need to grow the **** up or stay single and not procreate.

Comments

Just another example of why an offsite backup copy of anything important is needed.

shit_fer_luck 8

I've used Dropbox. It works nicely to store data for my thesis. Plus, it makes sharing data with my adviser pretty darn easy. So sorry about your luck, OP.

Why did this get downvoted? It's really good advice. Having something that important should have many backups.

I don't disagree with 13's advice, I think it's the smart thing to do, but I also think some people don't have (or have money for) a backup computer or backup hard drive or even to pay monthly for more iCloud storage. I also think a lot of people lack the computer skills to know how to do some of that which may be why 13's comment got down voted. Also maybe because it sounded like he wasn't being sympathetic and sounded like op deserved it. Just a guess.

#111, services like google drive (not sure about icloud) give quite a bit of space for free, I forgot what the limit was exactly (mine is limitless because of my university), but it should be enough to at the very least store the most important data on for free.

USB attached to your keys just in case of a worst case scenario such as this? I literally picked up an 8gig one today for $4 AUD

Oh. Crap. I would want my ex to take anything else EXCEPT my dissertation research. I understand your pain, OP.

Disgusting behaviour. So sorry OP. Maybe some tech-savvy friend could recover the files?

You could probably sue her to pay for your collage, that would be nice

I made this beautiful collage in kindergarten, but no one wanted to pay for it.

Well maybe if you had sued someone 75, then it may have been paid for. Your fault for not trying. ;)

Well not to be wrong but i had a bf who had a best friend but she was an ex . She was evil she tried tearing us apart behind his back . Made me look like the bad guy and he refused to see it . Idk what your exs case is but honestly press charges for her being a butthead about it . She shouldnt ruin your stuff she needs to grow up and move on .

Same happened to me.. Maybe OP's ex gf has a good reason though. OP could've cheated on her multiple times or something. We don't really know the whole story here.. That, or she's just a psycho

A reason to dump the OP, maybe. Not a reason to commit criminal destruction of property in addition. Her decision to be so childish when she was told no undermines the legitimacy of her reaction pretty severely. If the OP were a terrible guy, and she's not just a controlling psychopath, why not just let the guy go?

I do agree with you 19, that in alot of cases a best friend of the opposite sex can go bad. Whether it's because of (we'll use a guy with a best girl friend) the guy valuing his best friend above the girlfriend, or the best friend trying to break up the relationship, or there being unaddressed feelings between the best friend and boyfriend that weren't brought up until someone else came into the picture. Not all cases, but there are a lot of cases that can get messy in my opinion.

#113 I was the female best friend in a similar situation. We had been friends for over ten years, both of us had relationships going without a hitch until my best friend got a really jealous girlfriend who demanded he stop talking with me. He even tried to show her I was harmless by introducing us, but the effect only held for a few weeks. Then he gave in to her demands and stopped talking with me. Years later she moved out of their appartment while he was at work, leaving a note that said she's moving in with her new boyfriend. Sadly, our friendship never recovered from that break.

Definitely u r better without ur ex and yes, please press charges and let her know how useless she is to this earth by causing pain to others

Wow what a ******* ****. I'm sure you can press charges OP, I can't believe she would do that, she sounds way too controlling and jealous. Be glad you're done with her, but if you did it on a computer, isn't there SOME way you could get it all back?

People like that are just childish. I hate it when people just automatically assume that my boyfriend gets jealous just because my best friend is a guy. Yes, guys and girls can be just friends for the same reason a gay guy can friends with another guy. People just don't think logically when they're jealous. You dodged a bullet, honey.

RedPillSucks 31

unfortunately, OP didnt dodge the bullet at all. He got capped by crazy ex

If you already have, depending on the computer you could always set a restore point. That way the crazy bitch won't be able to screw you over and you can set it back to about an hour or so beforehand.

Restore points only protect the system, may or may not protect user files. OP can get free file recovery software, though sometime free versions are limited. But even having to pay say $40 would be worth it.