By soon to have a fist shaped hole in my ass - 23/01/2016 07:49 - Canada - Cornwall

Today, my neighbors in the apartment above me yet again had a loud fight, well past midnight while I was trying to sleep. I stood on my bed and pounded on the ceiling to shut them up. And now I'll have to explain the two fist-shaped holes in the ceiling to my landlord. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 995
You deserved it 8 662

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"Yeah after the aliens broke in they started punching things and that's why there are dents in the ceiling"

Even if they were annoying, pounding on the ceiling is a stupid idea, and might get them pissed off at you since they aren't in the greatest mood. However, explaining that to your landlord, sheesh, that really sucks. YDI & YLS

Comments

You could repair the damage yourself and the landlord never needs to know. You could also approach your neighbors about fighting earlier or being less loud in the middle of the night.

We have a couple of holes in the ceiling above the bed because my boyfriend smashed a chair against it. Our lovely and not-at-all annoying upstairs neighbour apparently likes to put her phone on the floor at night, which makes the whole ceiling vibrate whenever her alarm goes off at 5am. Yes, we tried talking to her. No, it didn't stop. Can't really blame my boyfriend for smashing the chair against the ceiling.

I think I'd just buy her a really nice alarm clock..

If you attempt to talk with them and they refuse to listen, I can understand the frustration and anger. It sounds like, to me at least, op didn't even try something else.

I can see how that would be annoying, but it's like you were provoking them. If they were already upset to begin with you just added wood to the fire. It would've been more appropriate for you to knock on their door & politely ask them to stop. This is also the kind of thing you could bring up to the landlord so they could deal with it. FYL but also YDI. Sorry op.

Call the police on them, rather than running the possibility of damaging property

Fill in the holes, paint over them. Nobody will ever know

Step 1: don't. Instead go to lowes or Home Depot or ace buy a bag of 20 minute quickset dry wall mix, a 10 inch drywall knife, a fine sanding sponge, and a drywall pan. Step 2: fill the drywall pan about half full of water. Pour the mix till it fills the rest of pan. Use whatever you got to mix that shit up. Your newly purchased knife, a electric egg beater, fork doesn't matter you just mix that shit like it's your grandmothers birthday cake batter, you may need to add more mix or more water. You're trying to get it to the consistency of marshmallow fluff with out it being dry or chunky. Step 3: take that ******* knife and scoop some of your "mud" up from your pan then in a wiping motion you will fill the holes. DO NOT TRY JUST SLAPPING THE KNIFE ON THE HOLE!! instead place the edge of the knife about 1-2 inches from the hole at a 45 degree angle the wipe across the hole while applying moderate pressure. (Don't throw that left over away yet) Step 4: in 10 minutes if the "mud" is hard to the touch use your knife to lightly scrape it flat with the ceiling. Then coat again. Wait 30 minutes and use your fine sanding sponge to lightly sanded it. Step 5: viola you're done.

Oh the joy of living in an apartment. How I don't miss you.

Unless your landlord is a jerk, I would have gone to them first and explained the situation. It beats bottling up that frustration and then taking it out on the property. Even if by accident.

Maybe try going upstairs and talking to them next time?