By can't sleep - 18/03/2014 08:36 - United States - Crown Point

Today, my mother taught my 98-year-old great-uncle to knock on the wall if he needs us. He can't remember who we are, but every hour he can remember to knock to ask, "Is it breakfast yet?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 812
You deserved it 4 145

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This reminds me of an old person misusing life alert!

colton_colton 49

Just leave food next to him so he can always eat without questioning!

Comments

Well maybe you should move him next to your mother's room

Schizomaniac 24

The wording is interesting. She "taught" the uncle to knock on the wall. I think it's interesting how we treat the elderly (at least generally, and in American culture as I've seen it). It seems that we tend to look at them the same way we do infants, as if they're inexperienced, incapable of understanding, unwise, etc. It's easy to forget that the elderly have been around the longest and have experienced the same or similar trials/troubles/heartbreaks/ups and downs and have learned the same life lessons we youngins' have. Makes me wonder what the world looks like through the eyes of an elderly person. Of course I realize that in this case (and many others) OP's relative has some sort of deteriorating mental state, so I wasn't calling anyone out or bashing anyone. Just sparked the thought is all.

Well what word would you have used. I know my very old grandfather who is 93 forgets how to do things so we have to re-teach him some stuff.

Schizomaniac 24

Well, I would have used "taught." Again, it was appropriate because the uncle's memory/capabilities are obviously gone or going. I just meant it was interesting because it made me think of what I explained.

Taught was the right word. I know many elderly people who have to be taught or re taught something they simply forgot due to age. As you get older your brain changes and in fact shrinks. You as a person shrinks a little. It's scientifically proven that some elderly have the mind of a child.

Given that OP's great uncle can't remember who they are, that's indicative of dementia or some related disorder. So, yes, you do have to "teach" a dementia patient to do things over again because the person has probably forgotten. Now they have to teach him how to tell time so he knows when it's mealtime, but that's probably not going to be easy either.

jazzy_123 20

have you never dealt with old people? Yes they are like children. Many of them start acting like a child after I don't know what age. My grandpa is 86 and he is so stubborn and always wants to go to the doctor for nothing (tantrums) and never wants to eat. It's like my mom says, "when you're old, it's like you're a baby again... sadly many people don't have the patience for them". And in OPs situation they have to TEACH him things because he's forgotten. You make it seem as if they're treating him like if he was an idiot. Learn the difference please.

14, I find it interesting that the second paragraph of your comment completely negates the much longer first one. Why write so much to say nothing?

Schizomaniac 24

I would guess that gracehi is the only one who actually read the entire comment before rushing in to tell me I'm wrong. How did I negate what I said? I never made any assertion. I said the wording of the FML was interesting in that it sparked the thought process that ended up with "we tend to look at the elderly a certain way I'm not sure is accurate." Then I made it a point to acknowledge the fact that this wasn't the case in OP's situation. Pretty straightforward.

The way I understood it, Schizomaniac is just trying to point out how the use of the word "taught" in a way infantilizes someone who stopped being a child a while ago, and from what I've seen, that's something that frustrates the elderly even more. Saying "she taught him" is different from saying "she told him" or "she asked him". IMO anyway.

Goblin182 26

Be patient, you will be there some day.

At least he won't starve to death! And at that age is amazing that he communicates in one way or another.

I should introduce you to my 97 year old aunt who is still alert, oriented, and quite active physically (she just recently started using a cane when walking long distances because her balance isn't what it used to be). You would get more communication than you could handle.

My 98-year-old great-uncle lives on a ranch in the mountains, where he spends his time herding cattle and cutting down dead trees with his chainsaw. He called my grandmother last night to tell her about his dog pooping out his missing handkerchief. I get the feeling you haven't met very many elderly people.

cut a small hole in the top of the wall. Whenever he knocks, throw a pack of poptarts through the hole.

Dementia sucks. When I worked at a retirement home, we would place memory triggers about to help patients with thinking and remembering things. It's a scary disease.

Just answer 'you just had breakfast' if he asks, since he can't remember if he had it or not anyway, and bring him his breakfast in the morning :)

jazzy_123 20

I don't think that'll make him "forget" his hunger if he really is hungry lol

omg. same thing happens with my moms Grandpa xD bit I Dont live near them.. c:

Just think he had a 1 in 24 chance of being right