By Ari - 16/01/2013 06:36

Today, my mother-in-law gave me a bottle of champagne for my birthday. This is the third year in a row she has done this. I'm a recovering alcoholic, and she's well aware of that fact. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 638
You deserved it 3 169

Same thing different taste

Top comments

why dont you give it back to her on her birthday?

Comments

Firstly, congratulations. I cannot possibly imagine the battle you fight on a daily basis, and it's really awesome you can and do it. Secondly, This is absloutely the sort of this you and your husband should sit down and have a chat about. He should support you in this, and have a chat, a long one, with his mother about what she's doing. It's disrespectful and wrong on a number of levels to both you and him and it needs to stop. Now.

Next time she gives one to you say :"wonder if my boss will like it....."

wauw thats like, the best come back EVER!!!

I can't even bring myself to make a sarcastic comment here. Alcoholism is terrible and deadly, and the fact that you've beaten it is truly remarkable. Your mother-in-law is obviously a cruel person with no regard for you. I hope your wife knows this.

Husband* My apologies, pradip and the rest of FML. I was actually a bit rattled when I wrote this, so I missed the female sign.

I have family that are in recovery. I am surprised more people are not outraged by something like this.

I'm convinced that no matter how lovely a parent is to their children, or how sweet they are to other people, they lose their shit as in-laws. Sorry, OP.

Ali_Br_fml 33

Maybe she's just testing you? Trying to look I the bright side... But man, she's evil.

graphicstyle7 17

Yeah, speaking as another recovering alcoholic... wow, your mother-in-law is a cruel, manipulative person. Really nasty of her to do that. Next time, look her dead in the eye and mention that you've been sober several years now, and her gift is not welcome. Ask her to give you something else. Meet this head-on and see how this bully takes it. Gotta say, I don't even know you, and your in-law makes me angry!

I had a friend who used to do this, then one year I told him to stop. The friend said it was a joke, and I said "would you give a recovering heroin addict heroin as a joke"? He got the message. Basically I am saying, tell her its not funny

wow that's messed up, good for you staying strong!

Sounds like your mother-in-law is trying to get you to slip up or she's truly unaware of how serious your condition is. Is this the third year of you staying sober? Or it's just recently and it's a tradition (in her mind) to get you the same gift you happily accepted two years prior and it just slipped her mind? ***my in-law gives me a repeat gift too. A blow dryer every Christmas because she knows I style my hair. I have 4 of them stashed under my bathroom sink. :P