By :( - 31/07/2016 04:18 - United States

Today, my mom told me that I'll never get married if my cooking skills don't improve. My boyfriend agrees. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 707
You deserved it 2 459

Same thing different taste

Top comments

TweetAnne 13

That is so sexist. If you want to learn how to cook then learn but if you're not interested then that's fine too. I took cooking classes before going to college since I refused to live off ramen. It's good skills to have but doesn't mean you need to use them every day. Married now and I cook few times per week and take turns with my husband making meals.

Shadowvoid 33

Well I see two people you could probably chop out of your life. Spa-ghett out of there.

Comments

What a ******* foolish thing to say! As a woman, your value lies not in how well you cook, but in how many goats your parents give to prospective husbands. If anything, your mom needs to improve her goat providing skills!

Ages ago, a woman's ability to cook was a lot more important to the traditional relationship wherein she stayed home and dealt with the domestic front while he went out and hunted/farmed/worked at the factory/worked at the office. You may want to inform your mom and your boyfriend of the fact that those days are pretty much over. That said; being a decent cook, like being a decent musician or artist or having proficiency at any skill that produces something you can share with others, is attractive and builds confidence. If you took a few cooking classes (which are probably offered free at a large chain grocery store near you) there's no downside. You learn a skill, your mom's food becomes second rate in comparison, and you get a new boyfriend that isn't such a cretin.

Do what I did, ask your boyfriend to pick one room in the house and you will master in it. Needless to say, my husband did not pick the kitchen.

Pretty sure he's going to pick the kitchen, the cretin

Your mother is ridiculous, a woman's marriage desirability should not be contingent on her cooking skill. What era does she live in, 1950? I think cooking is a skill everyone should learn a little bit though, just good to have. You usually make better tasting meals, and healthier ones when you cook, and it helps you understand all the different ingredients you can work with to make a nice meal.

I think anyone's marriage desirability does depend at least to some extent on their ability to cook. No one wants to marry someone who can't take care of themselves as an adult, right? I personally would not have married a man who couldn't cook, clean, and hold down a steady job.

That may be you, but I don't think it's the majority. Just cause you don't know how to cook, doesn't mean you don't know how to take care of yourself. You can take care of yourself without having this skill. My dad can't really cook, but he certainly is successful, and is knowledgeable about pretty much every other area, just not this one area, which is fine. So, because he can't cook, he actually just orders pre-made, homemade, healthy meals from this company where all he has to do is throw it on a burner, or in the oven, or in a slow cooker. Just because he does this, is he incapable of surviving and isn't able to take care if himself?

It would depend on how they dealt with not having the skill. I can kinda see where you're coming from, we've seen FMLs where people just refuse to take care of themselves, expecting partners or parents to continue taking care of them. It's really just that though: refusal. You can easily cook pre-prepared meals with no cooking ability.

Maybe your boyfriend should learn how to cook. And no ... Microwaveable dinners don't count.

Maybe your boyfriend should work on his cooking skills. You don't have to be a good cook to find a husband these days. It's not 1850 anymore.

Cooking is easy just find good recipes and follow them exactly until you know what ingredients do so you can customize food to your liking.

I don't think the ease of following a recipe was the point.

I bet he's only teasing you. If he is, don't try and take things to seriously, if not, then he's just a rude jerk and you don't deserve him.

As a boyfriend, I can almost assure you he was teasing you. I'd do the same exact thing to my girlfriend, jokingly, even if I do hope she improves.

WTF is wrong with all the stupid and sexist comments on this post?! It's not the 1800s.