By Anonymous - 30/09/2013 00:15 - Brazil - Jacare

Today, my mom started her new job; she's now my new coworker. She's already told the other girl I'd said she talks too much, and has berated me for not calling her "mom" while at work. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 069
You deserved it 2 868

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Squirrel1256 15

I can't imagine having to work with my mother like that, I feel for you OP.

She needs to know that your work relationship and personal relationship have to be kept very separate.

Comments

OP is at least trying to keep it professional, unlike his mother..

I would just sit her down and tell her that she is being extremely unprofessional and you won't tolerate it.

Try to talk to her about keeping her personal comments as confidential between you.

TrinityNevada 11

First of all, that's your MOTHER. Show her some respect and call her "Mom". In that aspect, I agree with her. Second, I'm a little confused by the sentence where "she" talks too much. I'm ass-u-me-ing that your mom told Co Worker that Co Worker talks too much. That's an easy fix too: you don't want to be confronted about something you said? don't say anything you wouldn't say to someone's face, don't gossip about co workers. Simple concept. While I think it's unfortunate that you have ANY relative working with you, just know that that means you don't get to keep your work life separate from your family life. You mostly deserve it

TheDrifter 23

In most professional settings it is highly unprofessional to refer to a parent by other than their name. If you were at your shrink or a lawyer, would you expect them to pick up the phone and say "mommy, can you get me the Guterman file" ? No, it's a work place, not your home, different rules of conduct apply. If first names are too informal, referring to the parent in question as Mr/Mrs (insert last name here) is preferable.

raytyler26 16

#23, you sound like the dumbest asshole I've ever had to read a comment from. My IQ just went down from having read that.

i dont think thats a bad thing. show your mother a little respect. she has brought you to life and raised you. So you could at least call her mom at work, if that is what she wants.

Why do people automatically assume because someone is the mother they get what they want when they want it. My own mother was a colossal ****. By the time I was 16 I was working a 25 hour job to save up money to move out. She was not "mom" to me, she was Karen.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. But thank you for the sentiment. I just find it strange that being a mother equals instant respect. It is earned, not given.

You definitely need to talk to her about her attitude before it comes between the two of you.

Nothing more unprofessional than hearing employees calling each other "mom," "dad," "gram," "aunt," or "uncle." OP has got the right idea....not using her informal "name" is exactly how the situation should be handled. Stop saying he should show her respect...he was there first, he is technically her senior. SHE needs to show him a little respect or she's going to end up losing her job. Your mother sounds like a hot mess of neediness, OP. Sorry you got stuck in the middle of it.

iGottaFindBubbah 12

My hubby works with my mom. I hate it. I think it's the reason they don't care much for each other. Try not to let your work related stress affect your outside relationship with your mom. Even tho she's making it hard by trying to be personal at work. Good luck op :/