This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By swaddison - 03/07/2016 17:38 - United States - Miami

Today, my mom read my journal. She called me up crying and says we're going to have a long talk when I get home from vacation. This week is going to be torture. FML
I agree, your life sucks 458
You deserved it 40

Top comments

I think you should make her week torture. Bitch her out for reading your journal, don't even let her get a word in or criticize anything that she read in there. If she tries to bring anything up, just tell her "That was a personal item full of private thoughts that you had no right to go through without permission," then walk away. She also has no right to be upset or cry, she invaded your privacy and if she couldn't handle or didn't want to hear what was in there, she shouldn't have read it. I hate parents like this, their kids have a right to privacy too, they snoop and violate trust, then wonder why their kids keep all their thoughts in a book rather than confiding in them. What your mom did shows a lack of respect and consideration, if she wouldn't like you doing something like that to her, she shouldn't have done it to you.

You do need to have a long talk about how she violated your trust, OP.

Comments

You do need to have a long talk about how she violated your trust, OP.

Yeah, we definitely need that. I was horrified she would go looking for my journal but let alone read it all the way through while I was on vacation. I'm in Miami at my dad's house right now and when she called and told me I kept saying "that is so shady" over and over. I have an anxiety disorder, which she knows, and I almost had a panic attack.

I think you should make her week torture. Bitch her out for reading your journal, don't even let her get a word in or criticize anything that she read in there. If she tries to bring anything up, just tell her "That was a personal item full of private thoughts that you had no right to go through without permission," then walk away. She also has no right to be upset or cry, she invaded your privacy and if she couldn't handle or didn't want to hear what was in there, she shouldn't have read it. I hate parents like this, their kids have a right to privacy too, they snoop and violate trust, then wonder why their kids keep all their thoughts in a book rather than confiding in them. What your mom did shows a lack of respect and consideration, if she wouldn't like you doing something like that to her, she shouldn't have done it to you.

Thank you so much. I've felt so horribly, so anxious since she did this. I'm really upset, especially since she found out some really personal stuff especially related to my depression and anxiety disorder. It makes me feel like I can't tell her anything or she'll use it against me. She also accuses me on a weekly basis of over exaggerating my mental illness although my therapist and psychiatrist have told her that I really am struggling. I'm glad I stopped updating the journal in January but she found out I had sent some pictures to a guy and basically told me that I was being a ****. It hurts.

Awe, I'm sorry, this whole situation sounds incredibly difficult. I know it's your mom, and it's probably hard, but don't listen to her, you're not a ****, your choices are your choices, you shouldn't be judged for something that has no effect on her or anyone else. She sounds very difficult and actually pretty emotionally abusive. No one should be taking to their child that way. I find with people who criticize mental illnesses, it's good to be blunt, ask them if they're a doctor, and since they're not, they can just keep their damn mouth shut because they're completely ignorant and have no knowledge about the topic, so therefore they have nothing of value to contribute. Also, I'd confide in your therapist and psychiatrist, what she did was unacceptable especially with everything you're going through. Writing down your thoughts and feelings is a good way to cope and she just ruined all of that and could have damaged any progress you've made. If you're comfortable, tell your dad as well, he should know what she's doing to you. If you want to continue keeping a journal, I wouldn't trust it around her anymore, keep everything private locked away and hidden, maybe get a lock for it as well as an alarm. It sucks, but until she learns to respect you, she shouldn't be trusted or have potential access to your things. It's difficult to do, but just stand up to your mom, don't take her abuse, she has no right to treat you this way and you're allowed to call her on her crap for doing it. You might be her child, bit you're also a person, and you deserve just as much respect and courtesy as she does. Good luck OP, I hope everything gets better for you.

That's awful, I'm not even sure you can call her a mother, she sounds evil.