By Anonymous - 03/11/2013 18:56 - United States - Roanoke

Today, my mom found a new fad, and now styles herself as some kind of modern druid. Normally I'd just roll my eyes and deal with it, except she's forced the entire family to go vegetarian, threatening harsh punishments if we refuse to stop "poisoning" our bodies. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 977
You deserved it 3 412

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Poisoning your bodies with what? Protein? Sustenance? She doesn't have the right to force you to go vegetarian, OP! I'm guessing your family feels the same. Gang up on her, for lack of a better phrase.

one of us....one of us! sorry OP, sucks when other peoole impose thier will on other people.

Comments

I once went five hours without meat. Never again.

cryssycakesx3 22

I agree 11. it's really not that bad of you know how to cook and and the fake meat is adequate.

Because "fake" and "adequate" are words I love to use when describing my food.

Sweetpea22 14

Yeah, everyone wants to eat shitty fake meat, right?

Zimmington 21

20- "really not that bad" it doesn't even seem like you enjoy it. So why torture yourself with fake meat when there's a substantial amount of delicious real meat to be had?

xpokeloverx 6

The majority of "real" meat that we eat is processed. Wouldn't call that real. Nor would I consider hot dogs real food either. Unless you slaughter your own meat, you don't know what "real" it is.

53, the answer to that question is that if you want something to be slaughtered for your luxury (meat is not a necessity), you better have a damn good reason for it. I'm veg because "it's delicious" isn't good enough

xpokeloverx 6

Thank God we don't have to explain anything to you especially the reason we eat what we do.

How about, it's delicious, and I thoroughly enjoy killing meat bearing animals? Hello venison steaks

xpokeloverx 6

Had venison steaks tonight with my daughter. :)

Mr_Mole 24

I agree, but forcing it upon someone is just wrong. Let them make up their own mind after seeing the positive effect it can have.

cryssycakesx3 22

Oh 66 someone else that gets it. these idiots are worse than the insane vegetarian people that harass people.

cryssycakesx3 22

you guys keep eating that rubber shit from McDonald's and I'll eat my soybean deliciousness.

monnanon 13

actually quorn is ******* delicious and i eat real meat too. i wpuld rather use quorn mince that any other kind.

fluffywaspluka 7

#66 Humans are omnivores, made to eat meat AND plants. Is that a good enough reason for you? It's called the food chain. Google it.

The problem is that humans were also made to live in caves and hunt buffalo. It's called sociocultural evolution. Google it. We were built in a time when buffalo lived off grass instead of being forced to eat corn to build up fats. The meat that we were designed to eat pretty much doesn't exist anymore, even in range-fed beef, because of heavy selective breeding. Also, we were built in a "meat or starve" environment. We eat meat because we had no other way to get the calories needed for our huge brains. It wasn't and still isn't good for us because our bodies are genetically closest to herbivores, but we had to eat it. Now we don't have to. We have agriculture. As for having the right to eat meat, I beg to differ on some points. My grandmother used to raise chickens and literally rip their heads off to cook and eat them. She can eat it if she wants. I've also seen people buy live lobsters and not be able to bring themselves to kill it. They are hypocrites and shouldn't be eating meat. I myself place no value on life and am vegetarian for environmental and health reasons. I absolutely will tell people about how bad the meat industry (ESPECIALLY fish) is for the environment if they ask me about vegetarianism or otherwise comment about it. I will also tell people about how bad meat is for them. I also like to mention veal boxes, but most people have issues with killing calves anyway.

#16 You went a whole 5 hours?!?! That's impressive... I only made it to 3 hours. I required a whole pound of bacon after that torture

122, why don't you have to explain why you eat meat? (Not to me, but to yourself.) All vegetarians are asked to explain why they don't, meat eaters must be able to explain why they do. Just because it's the standard diet doesn't mean you don't need a rational basis for maintaining it.

BradTheBrony 19

I like the way you think, #149.

149, choices need rational and reasonable bases behind them. Doing what you want for no reason other than you want to do it is just irresponsible.

Zimmington 21

153- You sound like a horror to be around. "Why did you sit on the couch. You can't simply sit on the couch without a throughout basis for sitting. The fact your legs are tired isn't good enough."

My mum acts, look and thinks like a 22 year old :/

AntiPrude 26

Eat all the lovely charred steaks, roast chicken and fried pork chops you want. She can be an idiot if she wants but she cant force you to.

mangoboy1 19

It's not like she can actually keep you from eating meat.

I feel she gonna poison you either way O.o

There is no historical basis for associating Druids with vegetarianism, and in fact they had some rituals involving the eating of certain animals. This sounds to me like a modern confabulation...

pheonixfire13 17

It is, what you see with modern pagans (including myself) is a modern semi recreation of ancient belief systems, often with much more of an emphasis on the divine connecting all of us and “harm none, do as you will.” Many do become vegetarian but a lot of us are just thankful for what the animals have given us. This woman is just a crazy b#tch, and most pagans emphasis that your religion must be YOUR choice, and that we don’t go door to door trying to recruit as many people as possible.

Dawnstempest 17

Yet another new day "Pagan" worshiper who has no idea about their religion. If you are a true Druid, then it involves animal sacrifice, for a variety of holidays, as well as divination. You also ritually kill and eat animals for certain holidays.

Being Wiccan and having done tons of research on paganism and numerous other religions, I can say that your comment is total bullshit. You don't have to do witchcraft to be pagan, Wiccan, or druid, nor do you have to do animal sacrifices. Especially not to be a "true" druid. And, though some may do this because of their beliefs as they vary among the religion, that doesn't mean it's a common belief. I know lots of pagan and druid vegetarians. You clearly have no idea about what you're talking about.

Historically, the Druids were the ones who prepared rituals and sacrifices for holidays, ceremonies, battles, blessings, and so forth. Many of these did include sacrificing live animals, and some sources lead us to believe that human sacrifice was occasionally done in more extreme circumstances.

monnanon 13

@noir_heart your modern day soft wicca does not fit with the old ways of pagans and druids. pagans had tonnes of rituals and the yule one centered around feasting on yes animal flesh. just because you know vegie pagans doesnt mean we all should be.

I'm not talking about the old ways of paganism. I'm aware that they had lots of animal sacrificing, etc. but I'm talking about pagans now. While there are still a few who follow the old ways, a lot more incorporate their own modern beliefs into paganism and lots don't include animal sacrificing. Also, I wasn't trying to say that all pagans are vegans or that they have to be or whatever, nor was I trying to convince others to be vegan, I simply meant that to be a "true Druid" you don't necessarily have to kill animals. That's just a common misconception.

Raise sheilds and load photon torpedos.

Sucks that you have no choice, but meat really is bad for you

Actually, meat isn't bad for you. We are omnivores after all.

Sweetpea22 14

Being a vegetarian is worse for your body than eating meat, but you don't see me screaming at vegetarians

#34 if being a vegetarian is worse for your body, can you explain why vegetarians are proven to be healthier and live longer?

Sweetpea22 14

Meat has essential things you need like iron. Many vegetarians have iron deficiencies

TheDrifter 23

They aren't, it's an urban legend spread by vegans. But really, do we need another vegans vs human evolution argument?

thejimler 9

#37, it is not proven anywhere. And don't say you got your info from Peta or HSUS or another one of those dumbass animal rights groups, their goals are to spread misinformation to support their cause and funnel money to domestic terrorists.

Studies show that both eating meat, and not eating meat can be healthy for you in different ways. Eating meat gets you certain proteins that can be hard for you to get in nuts and other foods, while being a vegetarian, you have to focus more on fruits, vegetables, etc. which gets you the extra vitamins you might miss out on when you have meat to fill you up instead. So really you're all both right/wrong and should take a deep breath because it's a pointless fight. It's a life choice and it's a decision for only you to make for yourself. Only you can only decide for whether you want to be vegetarian or not, and you shouldn't be trying to change other's views unless it's 100% necessary, so just calm down, okay?

cryssycakesx3 22

if you choose your nonmeat foods wisely you have no problems getting nutrients. a lot of fake meat products have all that stuff in it. and there's always supplements. I'm very anemic and I get more iron now than when eating meat.

I'm not condemning anyone for eating meat, I just try to not eat anything (vegetables and other foods too) that aren't full of chemicals, hormones, and GMOs. There is more protein in beans than the same amount of beef. It's funny to me, though, how people claim that there's no basis for my claim, but I've actually seen a fair bit of research from many different sources, PETA not even included.

There is statistical proof that vegetarians are healthier, but that can also be attributed to indirect correlation. Basically, vegetarians tend to make other healthy choices, such as exercising more and counting calories and whatnot.

#23 Meat isn't bad for you nor is it the healthiest thing out there. But we've been living off of meat for ages therefore our hunger for it

#71 I'm sure if you look it up and actually study, you'd see there are facts. One reason being is that we don't consume animal fats. Every doctor I've gone to even says how much healthier it is, and even suggested my dad go on the diet to help his health. I don't get crap from PETA, I know how to look at credible sources. I'm not trying to argue or anything, just getting a point across. I get so much crap just for being a vegetarian by meat eaters because they think they're better than me. I'm sick of having to defend MY eating choices and being put down cuz certain people don't agree. Why can't meat eaters back off and quit giving us crap for OUR CHOICE. My eating habits aren't hurting anybody, so why can't everybody just accept vegetarians don't eat meat, while accepting that there are those who eat meat. Nobody is going to change any bodies minds l, so why is there always a stupid debate over this? Rant over, sorry

perdix 29

At least you get to wear the cool robes. I know what I'm talking about -- I've seen some Monty Python movies. Maybe you can hide some jerky, salami and bacon under all that sackcloth.