By whatever - 24/11/2012 07:02 - Canada - Calgary

Today, my long-distance boyfriend broke up with me. Tomorrow he should be getting the super long love letter that I poured my heart into and sent him a week ago. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 227
You deserved it 2 476

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's awful, and very unfortunate. I can't help but wonder if anything at all would've changed if it had been sent by email...

Comments

I cannot even imagine what went through your head when you read this 1

perhaps it will turn things around, or perhaps it won't do a thing. Either way things will work out somehow, with or without him.

You really thought that OP would tell him "oh baby, I just sent you a love letter". That ruins the surprise, 1.

chrissy2 28

I'm in a long distance relationship right now. It is definitely hard at times, but things usually work out for the best. Hang in there

Actually, no. They don't. Usually both parties try very hard to make it work and one or both gives up within 6 months. Statistically speaking, it RARELY ever works out.

My sister and her long distance boyfriend of 5 years finally moved in together. He maintained a 3.8 GPA at university and was in a ROTC program, so his schedule was pretty hectic, but hey, they worked out. Long distance can work. I just moved to a different country for school, and the friends that I have here are also in long distance relationships. We've been here and maintaining a ldr since June. Its hard af, but all it takes is commitment and the right person. Don't give up :)

So, 36, you basically just told 22 her relationship is likely doomed to fail. Well that was nice of you. And anyway, I don't think when she said, "things usually work out for the best," that she meant that long distance relationships usually last. I think she meant that whether a couple breaks up or stays together it's usually for the best.

ExplodingToaster 6

My parents actually had to go through a long distance relationship when my dad was in North Carolina while he was serving in the Air Force and my mom was back in Illinois. They wrote to each other a lot, and my Dad even proposed to her in a letter. My mom thought it was really sweet. So yes, long distance relationships do work out. My parents are living proof.

SelenaMilkshake 17

I'm in a long distance relationship also, 11 months and counting. Yes, it's very hard and it adds so much more stress on top of school, friends, family, and work but I believe he's worth it. It's a long wait, but you know that your partner really does care deeply about you when they're willing to go through the hardships with you.

Chel2010 10

36- I'm very lucky in my stance that my boyfriends relationship with his ex didn't work. He had gotten the apartment that we live now in anticipation for when she got back from India for them to work things out and get back together. Unfortunately for her, the cheating hoe, my brakes went out in my truck and I needed a place near where we both worked to stay. Now I'm moved in and we're planning on a future together. I know that if he ever had to leave for something or vice versa we would work out, because we are the right people for each other. So sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It all depends on who you're with.

#54 I didn't say that her relationship was destined to fail. I said that LDR's rarely work out. There's a lot of hard work and boundary-setting involved in making an LDR last until the people reunite "permanently," and most couples simply can't hack it. That's not saying that no one has ever beat the odds, but to say it usually works out "for the best" is to either say that it's likely to succeed, or- and I'm paraphrasing here- "You guys weren't supposed to be together in the first place, so it's good that you found out now instead of later" Which, I don't think is true. I think a couple can have a great amount of potential for lasting success, but if circumstances aren't conducive toward letting the relationship develop, it can wither and die before it has had a chance to either establish itself as lasting. It doesn't mean they weren't "meant to be." It means that the timing and circumstances were off.

#71 Well congrats, glad your close-proximity relationship is working out for you. Those are generally much easier to manage than say... a long-distance one, which I'm sure your boyfriend and his ex can attest to. I'm pretty sure they loved each other and thought it could all work out as well.

chrissy2 28

I have been dating my current boyfriend for 4 years. We see eachother pretty often for a couple in a "long distance" relationship. About once or maybe twice a month. If you have a completely solid foundation (for us we had 2 and a half years to create that foundation) and you absolutely know that you are soul mates and will do anything to stay with that other person, then yes you will last. If you are at all rocky than long distance will not work out for you. I'm very optimistic about my relationship and there is no reason for it to fail because of the love we have for eachother. For most people, this is not the case.

#36 - Sad but true. I'm not sure about the statistics, but I think the further apart people are, the harder it is. I had a long distance relationship for almost two years with someone I met online and who lives in exactly the opposite side of the globe. It's not easy. He ended up breaking up with me because he couldn't deal with the distance anymore. (But we're still friends) It's very sad when the distance is the only problem with a relationship, but in our world full of technology it is increasingly becoming a problem. Best of luck, OP, I hope he reconsiders his actions. And to all of you in a long distance relationship, good luck and I hope it works out for you.

martin_martian7 11

Can't blame yourself. He will probably think about it and get back with you again?!

It takes a WEEK for mail to arrive to him!? How far do you guys live?

If it takes a week they're probably in different countries.

sweetperfection2 4

I live in Missouri and my girlfriend lives in Ohio, and it takes about a week to get to her, so not necissarly.

winkydog4056 16

Perhaps your universe is opening you to meet someone closer to home......

Psycho_Babydoll 26

This reminds me of when my long distance boyfriend dumped me shortly after he'd sent me a package in the mail... we'd been broken up for five weeks when I got a parcel containing one of his hoodies and a gift of jewellery. We're on good terms now at least but I almost bawled my eyes out. Long distance DOES work, don't get me wrong, but when something like this happens it just sucks.

28- my ldb sent me the exact same gift! and a letter too lol

28- my ldb sent me the exact same gift! and a letter too lol

doglover100 28

That sucks. Long distance relationships can be hard.

DeadxManxWalking 27

I've done the same with a package. She broke it off and then got it. She regrets breaking up but she was under stress (school/life) so hopefully we go to the same college and get back together.

that is the shittiest excuse cuz the boyfriend helps her relieve stress and supports her thru times of tribulation. ppl who use that excuse need to be buried in sand

You're joking, right? All relationships can be incredibly stressful. Living a great distance from each other can definitely add a lot to it when you're also dealing with school, family, or a job.

DeadxManxWalking 27

She just couldn't handle everything. I live in MA she lives in Cali. She just didn't want to be in a relationship. Really I'm confused on what I want to do. Alot of me wants to get back with her.