By Anonymous - 05/07/2015 09:29 - United States - Beaverton

Today, my idiot boss placed an expensive order for anti-bullying banners that read: "Take a stand against bullying!" This would be fine if I didn't work in a specialized school for children in wheelchairs. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 090
You deserved it 1 857

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I guess that's just how he rolls.

That reminds me of my dad's terrible slogan that he came up with in high school for a project. "employ the handicapped, they won't walk off of the job"

Comments

Pretty ironic because he became a bully while using anti-bullying posters to tell kids not to bully.

This reminds me of the project on amnesia with the background music as "somebody that I used to know"

This is so sad but made me giggle. I hope this somehow got corrected, however.

Just curious.. did you bring this up to your boss? They may appreciate a moment of embarrassment over the possible backlash they'll receive later.

Hopefully there was no pun intended there. He probably didn't give it much thought before doing it.

May be an important lesson to you. Even if you cannot walk you can still stand up for your rights and against bullying. There isn't a better term than that and instead of worrying about the children's disabilities you should be more focused on their abilities and enabling them to become able adults that don't sulk in their disability.

Considering OP works at this school, I feel like she's already focused on helping the children grow to become able adults. I get what you mean, but no matter what, when you're in a wheelchair and a remark is made like that, a thought goes through your head like "I wish." No one in that school will applaud the sign. Take a stance on bullying! Take a position against bullying! Hold your ground against bullying! Be in the front lines against bullying! There are many ways to say it.

Here we go... You're doing what OP is doing also. Unless you're in a wheelchair and thinking that, how do you know that this is what the kids want? Most people I know do not want special treatment and especially not people "thinking" for them. What they really need is ramps, wide doors, elevators and handles to lift themselves onto the toilet seat, that's it! But they don't need some overly zealous busybody to think for them and hamper their personal growth by shielding them from what they think may be offensive. Let them decide ... Give them a chance to change the banners if they choose to do so, but don't act up all offended because you think they can't take it!

As a person who has been in a wheelchair for a fair chunk of my life, I can tell you that with pretty good authority, that would make me feel pretty shitty when I rolled into school. And no, I don't mean the tiny car in my picture.

zeffra13 31

None of those alternate slogans have quite the same meaning as take a stand against bullying. It's a metaphor; the kids have to learn to accept they're not literal and they can take a stand just as easily as anyone else.

Yeah, I've been in a wheelchair for about 10 years now and this wouldn't offend me at all. If anything, I would just laugh at the irony. If you'd let something this insignificant offend you, then prepare to be offended a lot.

Could it be a case of wheelchair ramming going on under your nose???

MrZsDad 19

You need to suggest sensitivity training to his boss.

intimacy why the **** is this under intimacy