By kayt240 - 04/05/2011 05:41 - Canada

Today, my husband told me that he's letting his mother move in with us. He told her it was alright without even consulting me first. I hate my mother-in-law so much that I'm contemplating divorce rather than living with her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 352
You deserved it 8 082

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Her husband is the one making important decisions without even discussing them with her, which shows just how committed he is.

I hope you hate her for a good reason, otherwise you're just being irrational. FYL anyway mothers-in-law are such a pain most of the times. :(

Comments

if your husband pulled this shit w/o consultation with you, you two have issues in your marriage, not saying it's your issues but this needs to be worked out and your mil living with you is not going to help.

So you'd rather get a divorce than spend the rest of your life with a man you're supposedly in love with? Just grit your teeth and get through it, is your husband not worth it?

saIty 17

If I'd agree with what your about to do, we'd both be wrong

if you really love your husband you wouldn't do that. it's his mother for peet sake get it together and like her!

TheDrifter 23

His relation to the woman is irrelevant. He is bringing someone he should know his partner loathes to live with them without even consulting his wife first. It shows he has absolutely no respect for her and an utter disregard for her comfort in their home.

Or it shows, that he just didn't think about that, when he invited her, and now probably regrets it?

ReynshineCutting 10

You've obviously never gone through the whole nightmare in law thing. Sometimes you just can't like them no matter what.

Would I say this is a typical mother-in-law? That or a very rare chance of finding a good one.

You really aren't commited to the relationship are you? You would divorce your husband simply because you don't like his mother?

RockstarRN 10

You obviously aren't married with a mil!

ReynshineCutting 10

69 you took the words right out of my mouth!

You obviously won't ever have a good relationship if you can't deal with your significant other's spouse. Are they not worth it?

If my significant other had a spouse, I'd be out of there. I'm fairly sure most people would be, spouse included.

Rappingurl13 0

Tell him what u think. This is your house to huny, and as long as u pay some of those bills, u have a say as to who can come in and go out your door.

That is completely inconsiderate of your husband. You married him, wanted to live with him. You cannot pick your mother in law, but you’re right to be upset over this. Your husband should treat you as an equal, and that means that you have an equal saying in big decisions like this. Whether you love him or not has nothing to do with this. You can still love your husband and not want to be living with his mother. I’d start wondering if he loves you. Loving each other means wanting to see each other happy, and he is defiantly making you unhappy with this decision. For everybody who says this is ‘little’ or ‘minor’, it’s not. It is someone who is going to be in your life all the time. No more privacy, no dinners together. More costs and less space in. Mothers tend to think that it is their home and start organizing things according to how they always did things. I am sure she has a great reason for not wanting her mother in law to live with her.

WallyTheWombat 0

This isn't minor, but getting divorced over something like this is just stupid. Something tells me that OP already knew that her husband could do something like this (maybe that's why she hates her mother in law?). It kinda seems like she's just looking for a way out if she's contemplating divorce over this without even confronting her husband.

Yea, that was totally a dick move on the Husband's part. It sorta makes sense though if OP has such a seething hatred of his mother, but that doesn't excuse it either way. I'm thinking and hoping that she's using the "divorce" thing to express how bad the situation is/will be and not something that she'll actually do, but then again we don't know anything ELSE about their marriage.

You people don't get it! They will end up divorced anyway! Only by then, there'll be a lot more anger & hurt feelings! This cannot work! I like my inlaws in Fl and us in VA!