By Anonymous - 16/11/2009 20:10 - United States

Today, my husband and I put our 9 month old twins to bed and went outside to enjoy a very rare few minutes with each other, a couple of beers, with a baby monitor. He shut the sliding glass door, and I watched the bar that locks it accidentally slide into locked position. All the other doors were locked. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 782
You deserved it 8 363

pollychrome tells us more.

pollychrome 0

The rest of the story: I had my cellphone on me (I always do). I called a friend who lived close by who keeps a set of keys for us. She drove over while we sat in the garage (the car trunk was unlocked and I crawled through to get to the inside of the car, and I could get access to the garage door opener, but my husband had locked the inner door to the house - which is why I tried the garage door in the first place) waiting and listening to the monitor. I had grabbed a beer for solidarity, but wasn't really drinking it. I honestly don't like to drink very much since having the kids (obviously didn't drink while pregnant, either), but my husband is awesome and deserved some time off. So I grabbed beers for both of us so he would have one. Usually he just finishes my beer or it ends up getting poured out. The friend got there rather quickly (about 15 minutes) while my husband sat, drank his beer and wondered aloud which of his power tools he would use to cut through the garage wall into the house if the kids started crying (they never woke up). We got in, we laughed. I carry my keys in my pocket at all times now, and my husband doesn't think I'm weird for always having my cellphone on me anymore. It wasn't a crisis, but it sure did freak us out. We're pretty attentive parents, and these are the only kids we're ever going to have (I got my tubes tied after delivery - we figured that two kids would be one for each of us, 0 growth population and really all the kids we could ever take care of anyway), so sometimes the whole first parent thing can make one kind of dumb. Sleep is in short supply, but the kids are worth it.

Top comments

alwaysalady 0

My son thought he'd be cute and lock the car doors from the inside while I was pumping gas. Which would have been OK but I had set the keys on the dash. I was hysterical, I mean, it was July, and hot as hell. By the time the cops got there and let him out I was sure he was going to die from heat exposure. (He didn't, but I know how you feel.)

fieldhockyluva24 4

just cause it's happened or will happen to someone else doesn't mean it's not an FML

Comments

i'm sure there was an unlocked window somewhere...and if you had to break one to get in it really isn't the end of the world. unfortunate, maybe, but not much of an FML

hmm that wasn't meant to go there... it was a reply... ignore it...

the locked car in summer one always amazes me tho, why wait, we all know how hot it can get no matter where in the world you are, the price of a smashed window is far less than the risk of a brain damaged or dead child.

you have to be careful with that though. You also take the risk of glass getting on the child and them getting hurt that way as well. You also don't want to freak them out. I mean you figure its almost 2010.... almost everyone has cellphones, so even if YOU don't, someone walking by will. Call the cops, or a mechanic, or if you have AAA, then AAA (or if you live nearby and someone can rush you the spare key...). Anyway there are a million rational ways to get into a locked car (or home) that doesn't involve breaking something.

XanimalloverX 0

Its called a spare key under the mat or whereever for a reason

If everyone had hidden keys outside, is there really a point to lock your doors? Locks are just a false security anyway.

It's nearly impossible for someone to find my house since I don't live in a neighborhood exactly, but the doors are locked, yes. The truth though, is if someone really wanted to hurt you or get in your house, a little latch and twist on the door knob isn't going to stop them.

ours is out in the back yard behind a rock on the rock wall (a small one) in a little pill bottle.

ooo Im guessing you got in that sucks tho!

"He shut the sliding glass door, and I watched the bar that locks it accidentally slide into locked position. All the other doors were locked." You have an interesting way of talking dirty, my dear.

I hope you had a tool in your shed to ply a door or window open? At least your baby was sleeping and wasn't wandering around the house unsupervised.

Oh, I'm sure there was a tool in the shed to pry that girl open.